Soybean Only Diet

Discussion in 'Meat Chickens' started by Barend, Aug 21, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Thank you, NM. You're the only person I know who understands how to formulate feed.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. Barend

Barend New Member

Great, thanks for the reply mate! So you believe that, as long as I have the necessary vitamins (including methionine), I should safely be able to add around 40% soybean meal and 60% corn - assuming my protein is around 24% and my energy is around 3100 kcal ME/kg mixed together?

3. Barend

Barend New Member

Also, I understand that the birds need different protein/energy content at different phases of life (Starter, Grower, Finisher) - Now, you look like you know your way around feed formulation - Do you think a "one size fits all" approach is gonna damage my performance too much or do you think the 24% protein will be fine for the small and mature birds - Kind Regards

Aiming for a 35 day performance of 1.8-2 kgs (4-4.4lbs)

4. Barend

Barend New Member

Thanks for the concern mate, I understand it's a bit out of the box formulation - which is why I'm asking here first ^_^ I plan to be responsible and figure out everything before even formulating any feed. Kind Regards

5. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

I
    If you're going to process them at 35 days,there really isn't a need to have a starter,grower and finish formula.Just a starter type ration for the whole 35 days. Are you trying to do commercial or just for personal?

6. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Yes, they are ingredients, that's for sure, ubiquitous and inescapable. I live in rural Ohio, a veritable sea of GMO soy and corn. Every hobby chicken person needs to do their own research and draw their own conclusions regarding appropriate nutrition for their flock. Commercial? That's another whole, (pick your applicable colloquial speech). But consider this, for the past four million years, the ancestors of our birds ate an omnivorous free ranging diet. This only came to include "modern" grains during the past several hundred years. So while these ingredients are pretty much inescapable unless you get your feed custom mixed, they historically were not part of the aviculture.

7. Barend

Barend New Member

I'm small-scale commercial - trying to do about 100-200 birds a cycle.

Here is a typical screenshot of what they do in SA.

0-10 starter
    11-24 grower and so on
    upload_2020-8-24_19-27-32.png
    source: Avigen

8. Poultry Judge

Okay commercial, makes more sense then. Most of the folks here are hobbyists. Hope you don't have all the GMO feed grains we do! What grains do you have access to besides the soy and corn? Another additional adjunct might be appropriate for your application. You would calculate the protein the same way. Also do you soak/ferment your grain, it will up absorption?

9. Barend

Barend New Member

Uhm, If by GMO you mean it can't grow then most of our grains are GMO unfortunately, yellow maize/corn is the staple here - you probably do get stuff like sorghum and wheat, but just won't be profitable if I buy that. The Free State Province here mainly does corn

Soaking and Fermenting is something I haven't tried yet, I'll give it a read if I have some time, thanks for the tip!

10. Poultry Judge

It's worth the research and might be a practical application for your birds. You may have to scale it up a bit and you may need a feed mixer. I have a couple, one is a three point tractor driven cement mixer I rehabbed for feed.

11. Barend

Barend New Member

Haha I hear you man - I actually have a cement mixer which I'm planning on using legit, reading the fact that you have success with it makes me happy.

12. Poultry Judge

For small scale they work great wet or dry. Then you can dump into a wheelbarrow. My actual small feed mixer has a vertical auger and you have to do a lot of bending and lifting with it.

13. Poultry Judge

By GMO, I meant genetically modified seed which is a touchy subject with some folks here in the States. Some folks are against the genetically modified part and some folks are against the fact that Monsanto has a near monopoly on the seed that farmers can purchase.

14. Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez New Member

What is the problem with GMO strains?

15. robin416

I think it's more the fact that one company is controlling all of the seed that farmers can plant.

Plus you can't replant seed from GMO's because the plant won't grow true if it germinates or produces fruit or seed at all.

And how the heck are you Frank? It's been a while.

16. Poultry Judge

A lot of the farmers here in Ohio feel it has become very politicized. As Robin said, they, (Monsanto), have engineered the germination etc. so you have to buy the new seed from them, (a near monopoly), and the Roundup resistance keeps evolving.

17. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Starting to sound like a thread from BYC.

18. robin416

In what way?