Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is wrong with my chickens foot. I have been soaking in epson salt, applying antibiotic cream and nothing is helping. What should I do? What’s going on with him?

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
First thought was frostbite because how much of the toes are missing. But that's not quite right either.

I wonder if it's some sort of fungal infection.

Do you have a large animal vet you can take him to? This might need a microscope to tell what that is.

I'm going to holler at someone that's usually very good with things like this.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
My first thought was frostbite as well. More information is needed ie; where do you live, do you have standing water, what type of bedding inside coop etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had gotten this leg tangled I a rope and was in bad shape about a month in a half ago and he was almost dead when I found him. He was almost frozen and his toes started about two weeks ago. He has lost his nails on the two toes and the crusty scabs i socked and they came off last week and now as bad as before.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
If he's important to you and you can afford it, I think it's time to involve a vet. His injury complicates things on how best to deal with his issues. Especially since it seemed to have returned. It suggests he's lost circulation in that foot.

·
Registered
733 Posts
TOTALLY understand. Mine are all pets, you’ll quickly learn!
When he’s on the mend and you have a minute maybe you can share a full picture with us as well. My roosters are more fun than my girls- shh don’t tell the girls. Get well soon, big guy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts