Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought 2 muscovy ducks in December,one magpie and one pure white,the magpie is a big beautiful duck but the white one has always looked in poorer condition.the white duck would constantly look upwards and open and lose her mouth while twisting her neck..I thought she had something lodged in her throat but on checking,I couldn't see anything. Yesterday I was in the coop and she had spewed up something about 8 inches long with thick worm heads at one end of a fleshy tube with locking arms on the other end...it did look alien!

Any ideas what it is?.

She is looking great now,her plumage looks better and her caruncle is vivid red!

Regards.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I have no idea what that would be. How hideous! Maybe something she ate and could not ever get to work back out? Either way - yuck!!! Really glad she is doing better.

·
441 Posts
I'm wondering if she didn't have gizzard worms. More a goose problem than a duck problem, but ducks can suffer from them too. Have you wormed them?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Yuck. Sorry no idea with out a pic. Both suggestions given sound plausible. Hmm i wonder if it would hurt to give it some de-wormer.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Apyl - about a de-wormer. A dose for preventative for all of them would probably be a good thing to do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is due to be wormed,I give them apple cider vinegar and occasionally scatter garlic cloves around the pen..I guess I should worm all of them incase they've had a peck of this thing when she's threw it up!

Thanks again everybody.

·
441 Posts
She is due to be wormed,I give them apple cider vinegar and occasionally scatter garlic cloves around the pen..I guess I should worm all of them incase they've had a peck of this thing when she's threw it up!

Thanks again everybody.
Research your wormers. Not all wormers will kill the gizzard worm. I have a list here somewhere of what works on that. Will look it up and post back when I come in from morning chores.

·
441 Posts
Are gizzard worms the same as gape worms?
No. Gapes are in the trachea (respiratory tract), gizzard worms are in the intestinal tract.
One symptom is very similar with both - shaking the head in an effort to dislodge them, but with gapes you may also notice a wheezing or raspy sound, coughing and open mouthed breathing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She used to point her head skywards and shake it from side to side but there was no noise,poor thing...I can't believe how healthy she looks now,after just a couple of days...it must've been slowly killing her.

Ps she started laying 2 days later too.

·
441 Posts
She used to point her head skywards and shake it from side to side but there was no noise,poor thing...I can't believe how healthy she looks now,after just a couple of days...it must've been slowly killing her.

Ps she started laying 2 days later too.
That's great to hear. Yes, both types of worms will slowly kill the bird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts