Chicken Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s an animal that keeps digging holes under our fence and under the deck. The hole is pretty big I’m thinking like a rabbit hole.. because there was a rabbit that keeps coming to our backyard. But the thing is I don’t want the rabbit giving diseases to my
Chickens and eating their food and water. What should I do?

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
I have a variety of live traps for just such occurrences. Since I dislike killing, by using live traps the prisoner can be relocated.

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
Where they won't be a nuisance to you or other. Precisely where depends on what it is. Some species are woodland life and others prefer hedge rows, etc. For instance. if I caught a raccoon I'd take it 5 miles to an old forest area. The rat snake I caught, my wife just dumped alongside the road on her way to her mother's; in an area away from homes. When you catch the moocher, post what it is if you're unsure where would be best.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Relocating nuisance wildlife is illegal in every US state (that I'm aware of) and inhumane for many reasons. Here are just a few references if you care to read them. (Yes, I'm aware the OP is in Canada and their laws may be different, but the results for the wildlife are not.)
Why Live-trapping and Relocation Isn't a Humane Option | Wildcare Foundation

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ironically, about 10 minutes after I made the previous post a coyote grabbed one of my chickens. I was able to get a shot off with my 12 gauge and he dropped the chicken and took off. I think she'll be OK. No blood that I can see, but loss of lots of feathers and at least one bite mark on her back. So here's the question. If I can live trap this or any other coyote, should I relocate it or kill it?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ironically, about 10 minutes after I made the previous post a coyote grabbed one of my chickens. I was able to get a shot off with my 12 gauge and he dropped the chicken and took off. I think she'll be OK. No blood that I can see, but loss of lots of feathers and at least one bite mark on her back. So here's the question. If I can live trap this or any other coyote, should I relocate it or kill it?
Not sure haven’t saw a coyote before

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where they won't be a nuisance to you or other. Precisely where depends on what it is. Some species are woodland life and others prefer hedge rows, etc. For instance. if I caught a raccoon I'd take it 5 miles to an old forest area. The rat snake I caught, my wife just dumped alongside the road on her way to her mother's; in an area away from homes. When you catch the moocher, post what it is if you're unsure where would be best.
That is so complicated and can’t it just come back?

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
No. Most diseases only effect a certain specie or similar species. If the rabbit appears healthy, I'd leave it be; actually I do leave them be. We have rabbits and squirrels in the yard. My wife and I also enjoy watching their antics.

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
That is so complicated and can’t it just come back?
I was ignorant of the law, so I won't encourage anyone to break it, even though I am and will. Just to be clear I do not condone "relocating" animals that are not wild. Those animals I destroy or call the animal shelter depending on the circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
Depends on your state and your personal values...and if you are overrun with coyotes. Here in Ohio, they are a nuisance vector species.

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
Relocating nuisance wildlife is illegal in every US state (that I'm aware of) and inhumane for many reasons. Here are just a few references if you care to read them. (Yes, I'm aware the OP is in Canada and their laws may be different, but the results for the wildlife are not.)
Why Live-trapping and Relocation Isn't a Humane Option | Wildcare Foundation
I believe this is something the individual has to decide because there is no good, humane option. Shooting a nuisance animal rarely brings immediate death. Relocation may jeopardize those animals in that area of relocation and the relocated animal will likely perish, but... Does having a permit make relocating animals humane? Probably not. I've seen many shows on TV showing animals being relocated; is that... Inhumane? It's more a matter of what a person believes is the lesser of two evils.
Years ago in WI, I had a student where the father was the head of the local DNR office. When I live trapped a mink that had been raiding the coop and pens, I called him. His response was to take the animal far into the country and release it. Would I release any wild animal? No, there are situations that would preclude relocation; disease, animals likely to return unless taken..., an animal that could be a danger, etc. I will continue to relocate the rabbits that find their way into the garden, the snakes that make lunch of my ducklings and chicks, and the squirrels that threaten the household wiring. I do so because that's what I can live with.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe this is something the individual has to decide because there is no good, humane option. Shooting a nuisance animal rarely brings immediate death. Relocation may jeopardize those animals in that area of relocation and the relocated animal will likely perish, but... Does having a permit make relocating animals humane? Probably not. I've seen many shows on TV showing animals being relocated; is that... Inhumane? It's more a matter of what a person believes is the lesser of two evils.
Years ago in WI, I had a student where the father was the head of the local DNR office. When I live trapped a mink that had been raiding the coop and pens, I called him. His response was to take the animal far into the country and release it. Would I release any wild animal? No, there are situations that would preclude relocation; disease, animals likely to return unless taken..., an animal that could be a danger, etc. I will continue to relocate the rabbits that find their way into the garden, the snakes that make lunch of my ducklings and chicks, and the squirrels that threaten the household wiring. I do so because that's what I can live with.
I guess I’ll just leave the rabbit

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wait is it a rabbit?? If not maybe it's the black fox you were seeing in your neighboorhood ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts