Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beak Chicken Liver Fawn Comb
As you can tell, this rooster is calmly perching on my hand and letting me hold him. This is not like him at all. Normally, he would be jumping out of my hands and doing everything in his power to get away from me.
Lately he has been sitting fluffed up in random areas and barely moving. His poops are small and very green. The back of his head was injured because of his hens. I coated his injuries with blu-kote and hoped for the best but today he’s not doing any better. I’m going to be putting apple cider vinegar into the chickens water and probiotics with added vitamins. He’s still eating and drinking on his own but if he stops I will start syringe feeding him. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PS I can’t take him to the vet because he is not one of mine, and even if he was my mom wouldn’t pay for him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have one other rooster, and he’s perfectly healthy. I did post about a hen but this rooster‘s condition is very different from the hen’s.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today he really wasn’t doing good. I brought him inside, cleaned off his vent and feet with some soapy water, added more blu-kote to his wounds, and syringe fed him a ml of extra strong vitamin water. Now he’s in my bathroom (that’s the warmest place in the house) with food and water and a towel to sit on. I really hope he’ll be alright. His wattle is super pale. Instead of the bright red it usually is, it’s a dull pink. He is still eating on his own and drinking a bit.
Textile Paint Comfort Art Long hair
Bird Beak Liver Neck Phasianidae

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Oh I am so sorry to hear he's still not doing well, hoping he heals!😘

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Hania you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. He probably needed antibiotics but he's to advanced in what his issue is to be saved now.

I know you tried but there's just so much you can do. Why are you caring for someone else's bird?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hania you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. He probably needed antibiotics but he's to advanced in what his issue is to be saved now.

I know you tried but there's just so much you can do. Why are you caring for someone else's bird?
He’s my step dad’s friend’s bird. My step dad’s friend is currently renting while they build their house, so I’m caring for their animals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kept the boy in the garage overnight with vitamin water and fresh food. His poops improved my A LOT; they actually look healthy now instead of mainly white and super green. I’m suspecting that he’s got some type of respiratory infection, so I started him on VetRx, since it’s supposed to help with respiratory health.
Hand Finger Font Thumb Nail
What I’ve heard is that it’s basically like Vaporub but for birds

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
It doesn't. There's nothing in VetRX that will help with anything. Just great marketing convincing people it's the best of everything.

What's the possibility you can talk to your S Dad's friend about his rooster. After all, it is his and what he says about his bird and it's care is up to him. Not your mother.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It doesn't. There's nothing in VetRX that will help with anything. Just great marketing convincing people it's the best of everything.

What's the possibility you can talk to your S Dad's friend about his rooster. After all, it is his and what he says about his bird and it's care is up to him. Not your mother.
He’s doesn’t really care about the roo, our dog killed his original boy and that’s why he got this one. I could talk to him but vet visits are expensive in my area so it’s unlikely we’ll be able to take him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just did a little bit of research. I definitely think it’s a respiratory infection. My local feed stores carry some types of antibiotics for respiratory infections for chickens. Should I try that?

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Do you really think your Mom will let you get the drugs? If so, then try it.

When folks have grown up only seeing the birds useful for one thing, eggs and meat, it's very difficult to get them to think differently.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate my mom. She’s so selfish. We were going to stop by the animal feed store anyway because my pigeons are out of food but she decided she didn’t want to make the “extra” stop. We literally drove out to check the mail and pick up stuff from the feed store. I don’t understand her logic, now we need to drive out a second time because my pigeons need food. We could have stopped today. Why didn’t she stop today??? It almost feels as if she’s sabotaging me. Trying to teach me some kind of sick lesson. I’m tired of fighting with her.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
I can't get between you and your Mom.

I'm guessing you take care of the pigeons. Did you tell your mom they were low on food?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well apparently the only “antibiotics” they carry are VetRx. I went with my aunt and looked. But the boy is starting to get better! Today I found him out of his box, which is a huge improvement to a couple days ago when he literally didn’t move from the spot he was in. I think a week or so longer with me caring for him like I am and he should be healthy enough to go back to his girls.

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
They've taken away our ability to buy antibiotics for our animals in the feed stores so I'm not surprised you didn't find anything.

But he's improving without drugs so that's a plus.
Yes it's tough to get the right antibiotics these days, some of the pigeon, gamefowl and multi-species places carry them on the interweb.

Reactions: Hania41806
1 - 20 of 21 Posts