Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if pointing lights at the coop at night, might detour evening predators (opossum, raccoons, rats). I have small, solar up lights pointing at the coop, but not in it, as not to disturb the girls. However on warm summer nights, when I let them sleep with the pop door open, will the lights bother the chickens? Thanks to anyone with a thought on this.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Personally I doubt it. As soon as the predator realized its just light and nothing is coming out to stop them they'll continue on what they plan to do.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That night guard this is serious, I'm not sure I'd need something flashing at the hens all night, but I understand the concept. As a novice I was just thinking it might be an extra precaution, but just like. Rows to a scarecrow, once the ***** see it just a light, they might go for it anyhow. Ok, thanks for your thoughts. I think our coop is secure, it sits over 4" deep gravel fill, the bottom is 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth with 3.5" sand over top. I doubt that anything will get in, but I just want to take extra precautions I guess. Thank you both.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 60 Pullets in a canvas style temporary garage. The backside of the garage faces the woods (10feet away). I have a Radio Shack blinking LED that runs on two AA batteries, been on day and night for over a month. They are only around $5.00
It's well worth it to give it a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts