Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have one, or two of our americanas that have been laying a soft shelled egg for a week. I have not seen it happen, we have 3 americanas. One of them has been laying as normal, she has a big egg, so we know who that is. But, either two are laying the soft shells, or one stopped laying. They are about 10 months old, and did great all winter with the exception of one soft shelled egg about a month ago. Yesterday, we got a very thin shell. These have all been in the coop, not the nest box. I added some ACv to the water the last few days, they are on layer pellets, they get yogurt, eggs, shells, kitchen scraps, some scratch. No sign of worms or mites. All other chickens in the coop have had normal laying. Should I be concerned, should I try anything else, or is this just a cycle? Oh, they also get to free range a few days a week, and there is oyster shell available to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
I am having the same issue with one of mine as well. She is a production red. They have access to oyster shell. All of the other hens lay normal eggs. Wondering if it is a winter thing. Lac of vitamin D?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Jim said:
We have one, or two of our americanas that have been laying a soft shelled egg for a week. I have not seen it happen, we have 3 americanas. One of them has been laying as normal, she has a big egg, so we know who that is. But, either two are laying the soft shells, or one stopped laying. They are about 10 months old, and did great all winter with the exception of one soft shelled egg about a month ago. Yesterday, we got a very thin shell. These have all been in the coop, not the nest box. I added some ACv to the water the last few days, they are on layer pellets, they get yogurt, eggs, shells, kitchen scraps, some scratch. No sign of worms or mites. All other chickens in the coop have had normal laying. Should I be concerned, should I try anything else, or is this just a cycle? Oh, they also get to free range a few days a week, and there is oyster shell available to them.
Same problem here. 14 hens 11 months old. I've found about four soft shelled eggs in two weeks. They have free access to oyster shell and layer. I don't know which hen it is. Any thoughts out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Wow! Same here. I get about one a week laying on the bottom of the coop. By the time I've found it they've usually busted it. Mine have access to all consumables mentioned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,193 Posts
Could something be effecting their calcium absorption? Like competitively inhibiting calcium. Maybe too much access to zinc or another trace element? Just curious as that's what your story makes me think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Energyvet said:
Could something be effecting their calcium absorption? Like competitively inhibiting calcium. Maybe too much access to zinc or another trace element? Just curious as that's what your story makes me think about.
Still not sure. No more soft shells, one is still holding out. Will see what happens over this next week. Fingers crossed all is normal again.
 

·
Flocker
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
The ACV helps with the calcium absorption. That many birds over such a wide area wouldn't be a fluke, it's bound to be seasonal, or the beginning of the end of a cycle. Maybe they are cleaning out their systems for the spring thaw?? Just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
The ACV helps with the calcium absorption. That many birds over such a wide area wouldn't be a fluke, it's bound to be seasonal, or the beginning of the end of a cycle. Maybe they are cleaning out their systems for the spring thaw?? Just my opinion.
ACV? Sorry, what is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I also have a hen who is laying soft shelled eggs. A little about her past, she is almost a year old and the survivor of a dog attack that left some 20 of her flock mates dead. I expected her to stop for a while after the attack (5 months ago), and she did. She is a Pearl Leghorn, and for her body size she lays extra large eggs. I've read other folks issues, and I too am reaching for straws. My husband also thought there could be a problem with calcium absorbtion. If that were true wouldn't other hens have it too? Also about Sudden egg drop syndrome, I live near a lake so very little or no contact with water fowl. They all free range and get pellets at nite. Access to calcium and their own compost pile to rummage thru. Does anyone think I should have this hen tested for that disease? Anyone else have anything to share?
 

·
seiuchin
Joined
·
22 Posts
The state vet tested for three diseases that can cause soft shelled eggs in an otherwise healthy flock. negitive on the newcastles and bronchitis., and positive for the sudden egg drop. Are there ducks or geese at the lake near you? We have a marsh close by where there are ducks and geese. One possibility is a sparrow got its feet wet at the marsh and came over to steal some grain from the hens feeder. I believe this disease is transmitted from poop. Occaisionally a hen will lay a soft shell egg, but if it is ongoing you could call your state dept of food and agriculture and talk to the vetrerinary medical officer
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top