Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Araucana, she was laying lovely blue eggs 3-4 times a week until fairly recently but she hasn't laid a proper egg for about 3-4 weeks...she's laying a soft egg - I've known this happen before with pullets just starting to lay or the occasional rogue soft egg but she's just swapped her normal egg production to soft eggs. She seems to be laying them when she's on her roost at night and they're just mush on the shed floor next morning...I know this isn't normal but does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you give oyster shell or ground eggshells? I find that whenever my supplement bowl runs out for a few days then I'll get a soft shelled egg from some of my hens. I don't think layer feed provides quite enough calcium without supplementing. I put mine in a bowl along with grit and they pick out what they need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could have a point there,I offer mixed grit in a trough and I did notice it was almost empty the other day..it could be that she's needing to get topped up again before she gets back to laying hard shells again.

Thanks a lot for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts