Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We reciently found an egg in the hen house that was soft. We have several Young hens that should be old enough to start laying. Is that what we found one of our hens First eggs?? we have not found any eggs sence then.:confused:

·
441 Posts
It could be. Soft shelled eggs happen from time to time, even hens that are having their every nutritional need met.

What breed(s) are your hens and what age? Different breeds start at different ages and individual birds within the same breed can have a wide range of starting ages.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Soft shells happen. I would just make sure they have enough calcium, if they do then it could just be a fluke.

·
441 Posts
How do I give them enough calcium, Apyl? I've got a soft shell layer too! X
You can buy oyster shell (for calcium) in small manageable bags or in 50# bags at most feedstores. Though I have a lot of birds I prefer to pay the higher price for the smaller, more manageable bags.
I mounted a small rabbit feeder to the wall in each of my coops to use as oyster shell dispensers. The birds that need it will eat it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks! Had two today from my other girls - one soft one hard. Have them the oyster shell and they wolfed it, so they clearly needed it!

·
441 Posts
Yes, without the oyster shell their bodies have to rob their own stores of calcium to make hard shells. Oyster shell is cheap enough, I like the added assurance of knowing they are getting enough for their bodies and for hard shells.
There are other causes, though less common, for soft shelled eggs, so let us know if they continue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have started doing that now they are laying - i think it was just as they are new layers - all lovely hard egg shells now! Thank you, guys - fantastic advice once again! X

·
Registered
743 Posts
I don't provide oyster shells. I just throw egg shells out into the yard and the hens eat them for calcium.
That is what I do, my dad use to do it years ago, he said it was the natural way to do it. Oyster shells come from the ocean like he said 100's of years ago chickens were eating egg shells not oyster shells so why change it now. I think people buy way to much to keep chickens "healthy".

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
100's of years ago chickens didn't lay 200+ eggs per year.100's of years ago there was no internet>

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It might be worth noting that "greens" (like weeds and grass and whatnot) are also often high in calcium. In fact the darker green something is the more calcium it usually has. So a chicken with access to these things may be getting quite a nice dose to begin with. Whether or not that is enough to sustain laying that many eggs a year... I don't know. I still have mine of layer pellets...

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
It might be worth noting that "greens" (like weeds and grass and whatnot) are also often high in calcium. In fact the darker green something is the more calcium it usually has. So a chicken with access to these things may be getting quite a nice dose to begin with. Whether or not that is enough to sustain laying that many eggs a year... I don't know. I still have mine of layer pellets...
YES!!! My chickens eat lots of greens. Not enough to sustain shell development on their own... but its a different source and variety is great. I have mine on layer feed and greens and they do great. I also cook the shells and feed them back.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I heard that some hybrid layers can lay a normal egg early morning and then a soft shell egg later that night. They produce two eggs, but the second doesn't have enough time to get shelled.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What other causes are there for producing soft shells? Would molting be a reason? My girls are in their first heavy molt and someone(s) have produced 3 soft shells in the last couple weeks. Thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had that happen and was told oyster shells. Pretty much what everyone else is saying. It works. Never tried feeding them egg shells, but I'm really new at all of this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts