Soft egg

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Shanebaby, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

The other day I was checking for eggs and found one that had a soft leathery shell. Anyone ever seen this?

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes.. Nothing to worry about..

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yes in reptiles. Lol. No, really could just be new hen or could be low calcium intake. Don't stress too much but be sure to provide free choice calcium (oyster shell).

4. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

She is not a young layer. I give them oyster shell all the time. Her eggs are always thin. Then this soft one.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Is she getting access to the calcium or is she too low on pecking order?

6. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

She has access and she holds her own. There are only 4 hens and she's on top of the order

7. outdoorsii

outdoorsii New Member

How old is she? I heard they can start laying softer eggs when they get older

8. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

I think she is pretty old, not sure. I bought her and some other hens from a friend. She looks bad no feathers on her butt thin tail feathers her neck is bare. And she isnt molting. She's been this way all summer.

9. Willy

Willy Junior Member

We got our hens from Mrs Willy's cousin and they're supposed to be about a year old. When we first moved them over here, we got a few soft eggs like that, but not since. I figured it was from the stress of moving to a new place.