So Puffball The Cockerel Has Gone All Bruce Lee In The Coop

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by OnlyMe, Jul 31, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Something isn't quite right here, Silkies don't fly so all the swings and roosts would be going unused.

As to him going after you when you leave, back out. See what he does. Sounds like he likes sneak attacks as opposed to looking his target in the eye.

OnlyMe likes this.
  2. Whispering Pines

Whispering Pines New Member

I have one, he is a silkie and he has a huge attitude problem! My grandson named him Bane... the name fits him perfectly! ‍♀️

OnlyMe likes this.

3. robin416

It's always a surprise to folks who get such sweet innocent looking birds that they turn out to be a hand full. I've had two in all the boys I ever raised and nothing changed their desire to come after me when they decided to.

OnlyMe likes this.
  4. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Member

Hmmm, just spoke to the wife on the phone and she wasn't referring to the refrigerator not working, it was us she was on about!

She's as good as told me it's her or Puffball. I've asked her if I could have a few days to think about it.

My mum also called and said she is coming over tomorrow, this is not good!

Anyway some great response's and I like the 'backing out of the cage idea' concerning Puffball. I will certainly give this a go tomorrow...

Totally off topic and a true fact, did you know 99.9% of people who talk to their cats show signs of being mentally unstable?

Puffball told me that...

5. robin416

Still laughing. I'm becoming a true fan of Puffball. He's got you figured. And now he's run off your wife.

This kind of reminds me of those Chuckie doll movies.

MadDojah and OnlyMe like this.
  6. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

you are hilarious, keep them coming, we can all use the giggles!

OnlyMe likes this.
  7. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Member

I'm not finding it to funny at the moment...

My mum has been here all day, it was all ok at first and carried the caring nature that mums show, for example, 'would you like to see a doctor?', and, 'would you like to talk to a professional'?, I kept telling her the story of Puffball muscling in on my life and turning it all upside down, she wouldn't listen to a word I said.
    In the end she lost her temper and said, 'do you really want a chicken put on divorce papers as the reason for your marriage failing?'
    I then piped up, 'Puffball is not a chicken he's a cockerel, or Rooster as they call them in the USA'

Well that was it, she lost her temper quicker than a bullet leaves a gun and told me that Puffballs outrages were nothing compared to her blowing her stack. I thought I was going to be sent to my room at one point.
    And now as I type this it has been pouring with rain for the last hour, for the past 15 minutes my mum has been staring through the kitchen window with a look of bewilderment mixed with frustration on her face.

I'll give her another 5 minutes and let her back inside again.

Earlier I went over to the chickens to clean them out, and thanks to the poster who suggested backing out of the cage whilst keeping eye contact with Puffball.

Puffball was up to his old tricks again but I now have a bag of mealworms. He breaks out of his Bruce Lee mode as soon as the mealworms hit the floor.
    After I had finished cleaning up I maintained eye contact with Puffball and slowly stepped backwards, this was going very well until around my 6th step and stepping into an old galvanized bucket behind me, I fell onto my back, Puffball jumped straight on top of me, and even Darren who is normally non aggressive started to join in, and the hens sounded as if they were laughing at me.
    When I went back in the house my mum asked me, what happened?, I told her, 'I slipped over' but deep down I wanted to grass up the poster who told me to walk backwards out of the chicken coop.

I better go now and let my mum back in as she looks wet through!

MadDojah likes this.
  8. robin416

I have no words. All because I'm laughing too hard to talk.

I was going to say you shouldn't be left alone but now I'm beginning to think it would be safer for everyone to stay away until this thing with Puffball passes.

MadDojah and OnlyMe like this.
  9. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Member

My mums just left..

That's it, tomorrow morning I'm going on a strict training regime. My neighbour the other side of me has been out in their garden all day, I was quite disgusted to see them topless with a massive pair of breasts flopping around all over the place.

If it had been his wife it might not have been so bad!

I guess I'm not exactly fit either but tomorrow morning I'm up at 5 am to start running, this is turning into the biggest battle of my life!

10. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Member

New chick.jpg Puffball 3.jpg Darren.png Puffball hens.jpg I'm not cut out for running, it started well for the first 30 seconds then I had to sit down, ended up half walking and half hobbling, somebody asked me if I was ok at one point, they said, 'you must of run miles' I said it feels like it as I pointed to my driveway gate about 40 yards away.
    As I was walking along through the woods I noticed a suitcase, when I opened it their was a fox and 3 cubs inside, I immediately rang the RSPCA. The woman on the other end of the phone asked me if they were moving.
    I replied, 'I'm not sure but that would explain the suitcase!'

If I wake up feeling like another run tomorrow morning then I'm going to have a sit down until the feeling passes.

Anyway their has been a new addition this morning, it looks like 2 chicks have hatched. I couldn't get a picture of the second chick yet. I'll update again shortly!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2020
  11. robin416

Finally, there's Puffball in all his glory. He looks so docile and so unintimidating. I wonder, what does that say about the human who is his keeper?

I thought for sure you're running was because Puffball was hot on your heels, working to finally take you down.

Momma's look is "that's close enough, bub." I don't see Silkie in that peep. Who is the daddy?

OnlyMe likes this.
  12. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

Fix bayonets and charge. Show that chicken McNugget who's in charge.

OnlyMe likes this.
  13. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Member

John's been around this morning.
    You know when you're not in the mood for talking and someone just keeps going on about mundane stuff whilst looking over your shoulder to see where your wife is?
    I kept nodding by head parrot fashion and just agreeing with everything he said, until I realised I'd just agreed with him when he jokingly asked, 'had I buried my wife under the patio'.
    The conversation ended abruptly when John started going on about how many kangaroos are killed in car accidents in Australia, he said more kangaroos were killed on the road in car accidents than that of people. I said it's probably true John as their arms aren't long enough to reach the steering wheel, with that he gave me a strange look followed by a long sounding 'yeah' and walked off.

The wife is coming around in a bit, she wants a chat and said she needs to pick a few things up, I will need to clean the bath out upstairs quickly as all the chicken feeders and water bowls are currently soaking in there having a good clean.

I will also update some pictures soon when the girl that keeps her horses here turns up, she loves the chickens.
    She seems pleasant enough but between me and you I think she's a few stars short of a full universe.

Speak soon...

14. robin416

Uh huh, I know a couple of those people. They don't even get the hint when you walk away and close the door to the house. They're still standing there talking like you're right in front of them. Instead of talk to the hand, it's talk to the door.

The pot calling the kettle black? Once she sees you interacting with Puffball she's liable to move her horses to a safer place.

OnlyMe likes this.
  15. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

This thread has me cracking up! I love that I found this forum.

OnlyMe likes this.
  16. robin416

Yeah, there's something not quite right with OnlyMe. But the fact he's having fun is all that matters.

OnlyMe likes this.
  17. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

I may be a few stars short myself some days!

OnlyMe likes this.
  18. robin416

It's the best coping mechanism there is. Especially with today's challenges.

OnlyMe likes this.
  19. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Member

Yesterday I got stung my a wasp. I rang the doctors and said what had happened. The doctor asked me where it was? I said I didn't know but it would probably be miles
    away by now.

The wife has fallen out with her mum, she texted me to say she has no choice but to move in to the spare room back here. I texted her back to say I'd check with Puffball
    if it was ok. I've heard nothing back as yet.
    I think I need a holiday, John said he would look after the chickens so I rang the airline to see how much it would cost to go to Spain, she said, 'how many will be flying with you?, I replied, 'I don't know it's your aeroplane', and then she hung up, I find people so strange?

Puffball has learnt the art of slapping, he uses his wings like a wet towel rolled up. This morning he did it on my bare legs as I stupidly went in with shorts on.
    My eyes actually started watering. I will go and talk to him through the chicken mesh in a bit about the wife wanting to move back in.

The past few nights I have been studying all sorts of wild fowl.
    Did you know the duck-billed platypus is the only mammal that lays eggs but it also produces milk.
    This must be the only animal on earth that can make its own custard!

Sylie likes this.
  20. robin416

OK, there is nothing to say to any of that. I'm normally not a talker anyway but this has caused total silence on my part.

Puffball has almost completed his training now.

OnlyMe likes this.