So Puffball The Cockerel Has Gone All Bruce Lee In The Coop

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by OnlyMe, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:25 PM.

1. OnlyMe

OnlyMe New Member

New hens x 8
    New Cockerels x 2

One of the Cockerels/Roosters, called Puffball must be the reincarnation of Bruce Lee.

He is lightning fast, walks around you as if you're in a boxing ring with him, then goes for you all Kung Fu style.
    Now I've tried talking to him and negotiating but to no avail, either I take up Kung Fu or stay out of the coop?

What to do?

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

LOL Go in wearing armor. You can talk and negotiate till you know what freezes over, he's made his decision and he's not going to change it.

There's only two options and one of them isn't that he goes to live with some other flock.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. OnlyMe

OnlyMe New Member

Hmmm, this keeping chickens lark isn't easy is it?

He seemed ok for the first couple of days. He kinda wandered around the per
    I really don't understand it though, it would be like me going up against a
    Tyrannosaurus Rex and without any weapons. Yet fully convinced that I was going to win.

I mean he is the size of a kids balloon, and not much heavier either. What on earth is going through his pea sized brain?

Anyway I've got a welders mask, leather body suit and gloves, and seem knee height rubber welly boots for tomorrows encounter. I will try and talk him down, but I have no experience with chicken psychology.
    I am however very familiar with dogs and they can be trained to lose aggressive behaviour, so I'm hoping this approach is going to work with Puffball.

Though I have this horrible feeling deep down he has some kind of psychopathic issue like that of Hannibal Lecter with the fighting passion of Bruce Lee.

I will have nightmares tonight of him cooking me in a large pot!

4. robin416

I needed that laugh. I really want to hear how this issue between the two of you progresses.

Some of those little guys are just plain evil. I had one that was just onces in size. He had this thing about human men. That little body would stalk them and then launch his attack. I watched him chase grown men like his diminutive size could inflict any damage.

I would catch him stalking his prey and call his name. His look was "who me, I wasn't doing nuthin'" then he'd stroll away until I wasn't looking and begin stalking his target again.

Slippy and Thomas Lippert like this.
  5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Member

Been there, done that! I swear bantams are the worst, lol.

OnlyMe likes this.
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

You can play football with him. You're the kicker, and he's the football.

7. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Active Member

Try making peace with some mealworms, they will generally drop whatever devil's work they are doing to eat worms. While he eats, try having a rational chicken psychology discussion with him, explain his options and consequences of his life choices. Tell him you have both a refrigerator freezer and a chest freezer. Explain to him that he does not wish to choose the vocational path of human fighting rooster! At the age of about five, I do remember my grandmother handing my brother and I rolled up newspaper and making us chase her bad rooster to establish the pecking order. I remember thinking it was mean at the time. She made us do the same thing with the geese. With the geese, it was all territorial. With one particular rooster, I'm not so sure. He would do the ambush thing from an arbor and I think he enjoyed terrorizing children!

Thomas Lippert, OnlyMe and robin416 like this.
  8. Poultry Judge

Please keep us posted, love the name Puffball.

Thomas Lippert and OnlyMe like this.
  9. OnlyMe

OnlyMe New Member

They're really odd aren't they?, I wish I had done some research before getting him.
    It all went well to start with...

Fully suited up with welders mask, leather gloves and leather gardening suit. (heavy duty one that you can work in the middle of the bramble bush in) And knee height, thick rubber wellington boots. (the sort you could walk over burning coals in)

From the moment I walked in Puffball did nothing at all, I sat right beside him and he ran in circles around me almost as if an old friend had joined him.
    Anyway we chatted for about 20 minutes when I started to get really hot as the sun broke through the clouds. I asked him if it was ok to take the suit off and I swear without a lie he actually nodded.

So I removed the gloves, took off the welders mask and continued to take the leather suit off. I guess this was the point when I had my trousers around my ankles that he decided to go all out 'Bruce Lee' again. Not only that but I fell to the floor because I could not run and he then stomped on my back as if he was trying to ground me into some type of mealworm.
    I crawled out the coop to find my neighbours pointing and laughing, so to be honest I've never felt so humiliated in my whole life.

I can't understand whilst suited and booted up he did nothing but appear like my new best friend?

Surely they can be trained somehow?

Would wearing one of those adult chicken suits make any difference?

10. robin416

Your neighbors need to get a video camera fired up. Or their phones. Anything that can capture the comedy going on in your coop.

You and Puffball will probably always be at odds. It's how he's hardwired and I doubt there's anything you can do to change that about him. At least you know he's one heck of a defender when it comes to his ladies.

You never said what breed he is. Is he a bantam or a large fowl? Bantams can be dealt with pretty easily. Large fowl? Keep the protective gear on when in the coop.

11. RitaS

RitaS Member

I’m sorry but it is funny. I hope there’s something to train him. I’m new so no help at all

12. OnlyMe

OnlyMe New Member

I'm yet to learn the names and terms for chickens. I've heard the word bantam before but I've no idea what it means, large fowl? well not really, he is the size of a child's balloon and not much heavier. But somehow he sucks air through his mouth and puffs up to the size of an extremely large over inflated beach ball thing. It's a bit like watching the incredible hulk in a live format.

I must admit the closest I had ever got to a chicken before all of this was at KFC.
    I've been around ducks and fed them at the pond though, but they all seemed rather sweet and never once tried to rip every arm and leg from my body every time I sat with them.
    I've made a mistake and it's because when we picked up the hens somebody said you need a cockerel.
    So I looked through the free adds for my area and somebody was giving away 3 of them. I went and picked them up on my own and just thought the people would have a box.
    Sadly they leant me a large budgie cage with the door missing. I was only supposed to get one, and the one I chose came out of the coop and sat in the cage, he was grey and is called 'Darren'
    Yet within a flash this white thing appeared and rammed itself into the cage bulging the first one through the bars.
    I said to the lady I did not want him but she couldn't get him out. He had blown himself up like a beach ball.

Unluckily Puffball decided to deflate when driving him home and he got out!

I would not recommend anybody to ever drive a car with a cockerel running around.

Anyway after driving them home which is normally a 20 minute trip, 2 hours later I pulled up on the drive. Mistakenly I put them straight in with the hens and before I knew it and wish not to send this post political, but the coop within seconds looked like the morning after a rally.

Carnage, feathers and chicken poop was all I remember seeing, and most of that was on me.

The neighbour says the cockerels are silkies, the hens are rescue hens from the battery farm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:25 PM
  13. OnlyMe

OnlyMe New Member

Don't whatever you do get a cockerel!

Whispering Pines and RitaS like this.
  14. robin416

Silkies are bantams. Although I'm assuming you're in the UK from some of your verbiage. There are large fowl Silkies in Europe. I just don't think that's what you have. Your description says bantam. See my avatar? That's Silkie hen.

Puffball can't hurt you. I know because I raised hundreds of Silkies and not all of the boys were a pleasure to deal with. And don't think you'll ever get him to not want to rip your head off. It's who he is and will always be.

You're learning by firing squad at this point.

Thomas Lippert, RitaS and OnlyMe like this.
  15. Poultry Judge

Thank you for the update! I'm with Robin, I think that might be how Puffball is hardwired. However, if you spend time with your flock every day, you may be able to desensitize him a little bit. On my farm we do a chicken, turkey and duck count every morning and everyone is very conditioned to the a.m. mealworms, it's just part of the routine.

16. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Bantam refers to size...they are "miniature" chickens, large fowl refers to regular sized chickens.

I think with patience and treats (remember they are treats! not food) you could win him over.

17. OnlyMe

OnlyMe New Member

Many thanks for all the replies, some great advice filtering through here.

Will update this post with any progress I make. Still trying to understand why he was perfectly fine when I was suited up though? I've woke up this morning with a massive bruise on my knee so I'm hobbling around a bit today!

Thanks again everybody, I came across this website in desperation and I didn't think I would find anything regarding a forum just about chickens.

But I' so glad I found it!

Sylie and Thomas Lippert like this.
  18. robin416

It wouldn't have lasted. He would have gotten used to the look and been right back at it again.

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  19. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

20. Poultry Judge

Yup.