Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there has been a lot of ants and other insects in my chicken run and sometimes crawl on the coop. It’s really annoying because they are eating food off the ground and I have no idea what to do.we clean the run every like 3-4 days and change the dirt inside

·
Registered
351 Posts
Isn't their some kind of spray to kill them off? That's the only thing I can think of to get rid of them. :rolleyes:

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
We have a similar problem; fire ants. Twice in the last week I have rescued newly hatching chicks from fire ants just starting to invade the nests. It would seem the ants sense when eggs are hatching or broken-smell? I bought a powder made just for these kind of ants. While it kills the ants there's just an overwhelming number of hills, large and small. I found a new ant colony that had recently started underneath a nest box-the nest box is on a small table in the coop; no real dirt there at all. Here in TN, it's just grin and bear it as it is impossible to get rid of the infinite number of ants. It's to the point I treat nests and roosts--frequently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts