Chicken Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I remember I needed a roo after Eddie and his brother died. It took 2 years, LOL. Now I have 5 plus 7 silkie roos.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Ah, memories. I can not tell you how many times someone would contact me for a roo and on every occasion I didn't have any extras. But let a few months go by and I would be over run.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I was so tempted to get day old bantams for my Silkie to raise but that boy thing is what had me getting large fowl. I'm out, I didn't want to have to deal with boys that I didn't need and wasn't going to keep.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Only reason we got bantams at all is that my kid is small for his age. He wanted to show in exhibition class which requires a male/female pair. I wasn't so sure he could handle a LF rooster. Especially if they make them hold the bird up and extend the wings and all

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Yep, that can be an issue even for adults when a bird doesn't want to be held never mind extending the wings. When my white leghorn said she wasn't happy with me picking her up it took everything I had to hang on to her.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I hate seeing 4H kids show large fowl. Even the 15+ year olds. I can't hold a 13lb bird at arms length and I don't expect a kid to either.

·
Registered
516 Posts
We only have bantams for exhibition (fancy) class. We have LF for the pullet and Hen classes. The judges we have like heavy breeds for egg laying. Brahmas do really well. 2 of our BOs will go as hens next yr. Hopefully if we get a good hatch, 2 black copper marans for the pullet class & county born and raised class, and then the pair of bantams.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
At our fair anyone can enter - as an exhibitor, they aren't judged - but 4H is a youth club. If you want to show chickens either you show APA or find a local fancier club/fair that has open shows.

·
Registered
Floof queen
580 Posts
and have only spent about 5 min on the site when I joined a few weeks back...
nothing at all against it or anyone on there but I just prefer the smaller tight knit community here.
are some of you BYC members as well?
I do like some of their articles and info but I prefer to do my social shenanigans here :D
I was but I got banned to like @Nm156

·
Registered
Floof queen
580 Posts
What is this BYC you speak of? This was the only forum I found when I searched for a "place to belong". I really like the atmosphere here, it may be small but it feels very family friendly and people seem willing to help and not talk over each other like what happens on FB and other forums. I plan on staying a while and rosco cracks me up. Funny is always a good thing.
back yard chickens. It usually is the first thing to pop up when you type in chicken forum

121 - 137 of 137 Posts