Chicken Forum banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Hello, everyone, seminolewind said I should check this site out. :)
Welcome to the forum, casportpony. Hopefully with all the new faces popping in this group will get hopping again.

We're pretty laid back, although I can be a bit brusque at times, have fun when we get the chance and not overly controlling.

·
Coop Fortifier
220 Posts
That doesn't even sound like you were posting here, logins don't time out. It will tell you your post is too short or that you're posting too soon after your last post. I think that last is part of foiling spammers.

And saved? Never checked it out but I don't think the forum automatically saves when typing.
I thought I had logged in.. maybe I hadn't. it asked me to sign up and told me that the post I wrote was saved... I went and logged in... So I assume the post is sitting there waiting for the writer to "sign up".

No biggie.

deb

·
Coop Fortifier
220 Posts
Ok my intro.... short and quick

deb is my name.... I am 60 years old this past June... (I read the whole thread before posting)

I have had chickens for about 25 years... and am a city girl. Though I have a home in the high desert I live in town for now. Caretaking for my 99 year old Grandma.

Never had a sick chciken... predators have taken four whole flocks now.. The last one was horrific... Lost my goats too. Yep I know how to protect them big time... I wasnt there because I was here.

So no more livestock except the horse... till I move home.

deb

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I know how hard it is to care for a loved one when it's not close to home. Luckily when I had to do it hubs did a good job, except when he forgot to make sure my old horse was awake when he went to feed him. That big old head came up and knocked him across the stall.

I haven't had any horses in about ten years now. Probably a good thing since it's getting harder to do the heavy lifting. I even sold my breeding flock a few years ago and kept my oldies. The oldest turned ten this month, the youngest is about six. I only kept her because she was so rude.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
That's happened to me a few times in the past. My posts too close together and I need to wait a minute or two. Sheesh.

NM156, no apologies needed. I don't blame you.

I'll email Dawg53 and let him know.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I don't remember how many words pops the warning up that a post is too short. I no one word won't cut it but it might be as many as three. Hmmm, I feel a test coming on.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Yea, Robin, being as knowledgeable as you are and reluctant to post things you don't know much about, you're a stand-up resource. Most of the people I know from BYC are ones I met on the Emergency category. We all just wanted to help people with correct information and help people out. That's it. But it certainly backfired on Kathy (casportpony).

Me? I'm 56 , just retired from working. I have a Tennessee walking horse mare, and 28 chickens and 10 silkies. I hatched the silkies and ended up with 7 roos and 3 hens. Don't tell anyone, but I like the roos better. My husband has 4 geese.

My flock has marek's at this time. It's a forever virus that causes cancer in chickens. The vaccinated ones mostly miss the tumors, but still carry the virus. So my flock is closed except to hatched or day old vaccinated chicks.

Robin, glad you look at other knowledgeable people as a benefit. I too believe more heads are better than one.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I don't know how I escaped Mareks in all those years I was raising them but I did. Or my flock just had an immunity to it. No way to know now since I'm no longer raising them.

99% of it is common sense. Yes, I have a medical background which helps in the understanding but common sense is the most utilized tool we have. You're right, I try to stay away from topics that I have little knowledge about since some species are quite different in what it takes to care for them. I won't even talk about equine care any more because I'm sure a ton has changed since I last had them.

Got you beat on the boys to girls hatch. 17 eggs equalled 15 males. Luckily it was when paint Silkies were first being introduced and I rehomed them fairly easily.

Oh heck yeh, I worry that I'll leave out something important or do more harm. I know what I know but there are others out there that know more stuff. But I don't suffer stupidity gracefully. Stupidity that causes the birds unnecessary pain pushes the wrong buttons with me.

·
Team Tube Feeding Captain
1,515 Posts
Welcome to the forum, casportpony. Hopefully with all the new faces popping in this group will get hopping again.

We're pretty laid back, although I can be a bit brusque at times, have fun when we get the chance and not overly controlling.
Thanks for the welcome!

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I'm just lucky they were paints. I'd probably still have some of them years later if they hadn't been.

I wish I could remember just how old Chiclett is, she's the one paint I kept because she has such a bad attitude. Nothing sweet about her at all.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I've got this thing for white chickens, then I've got this thing about black and white chickens. So, I get both in the Silkies and my silver spangled Hamburgs.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Robin, I had started with a set of silkies, 2 roos and a hen who lived very happily together. All their offspring were girls. 3 hatches, all girls. And both roos had offspring with the hen. I still have one roo and he's 7.

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
I was never that lucky. I'd say someone was trying to produce more girls so that the boys each had their own. Have you ever noticed that if you really want boys you end up with girls or vice versa?

My oldest is white and turned ten this month.

Were you around for my head injury bird? That might have been from the BYC Yuku group. She turned nine this Spring. Without my vet listening to me and providing the pred for her, she wouldn't have made it to her first birthday. I just did the math, that would have been the original BYC.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
No, but I believe my head injury roo got some of her leftover pred. That roo got better, then got worse and we put him down. Eddie was never quite right. Not a day went by during his life when me and hubby didn't talk about him and what he did that day.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 137 Posts