Chicken Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Funny, the person who started this thread sold me my last dozen eggs- 10 cute silkies- now 2 years old! And aside from them, 16 real chickens , LOL

·
Oldhen2345
77 Posts
Well, I am a victim of chicken math. I have 6 hens and 12 chicks. As a backyard enthusiast, I love my chooks, but can't support too many on the property. :(. I wanted to change the breeds that I have so I can have back yard eye candy. I had to order the minimum of 6, but only 4 were breeds I needed, they didn't have one of the breeds I wanted, so I had to order from another hatchery- well, the minimum there was 3, but they sent 4(rooster by the way). My most precious and expensive rare breed chick got mashed in the brooder by the others. So I set out to find a replacement- I found a breeder (chicken mill) not far from home and bought 3 of what I hope are pullets. At the end of the day, I will have 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Lavender Orpington, 2 English Mottled Orpingtons (I should just keep one, but they are so pretty), 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Splash Marans and a Welsummer. Lordy, I hope they stay healthy, I can't go through this again. I will rehome the rest of the chicks- most have already found a taker. I also will re-home 4 of my hens- only 2 have takers. I can give away the other 2 on Craigs list- an EE and a Cinnamon Queen.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
I am down to 13 in one coop from 34 and the other coop has 6 adults, 6 babies and I have 9 3 week olds in my living room lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Right now I have 15 chickens, all living in the outside coop. We have 2 that are several years old, 3 that are 7 months, 7 that are about 3 1/2 months old, and 3 that are 3 months old. Then here at work we have 10 hatching out today, and 1 emu outside in then pen, his name is Kevin, he is about 2 months old now.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Right now I have 15 chickens, all living in the outside coop. We have 2 that are several years old, 3 that are 7 months, 7 that are about 3 1/2 months old, and 3 that are 3 months old. Then here at work we have 10 hatching out today, and 1 emu outside in then pen, his name is Kevin, he is about 2 months old now.
Didn't you not have chickens a while back?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
You have an emu?!?!I'm so jealous!!!I've really wanted a couple of ostriches since I moved here in 2000.I just haven't found any I can afford and now all the local farms are closed down.As for birds,I have 5 exotic birds,10 hungry goslings and 30 chickens.Plus a dog,cats and fish.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Didn't you not have chickens a while back?
No, I had lost all but 2 of my outside flock, which I still have those 2. I also, at that time, had the chicks that are currently 7 months old inside in the brooder...I just keep hatching and adding to the flock as time moves on. Eventually I will pick a breed or 2 and focus on them only. :D

You have an emu?!?!I'm so jealous!!!I've really wanted a couple of ostriches since I moved here in 2000.I just haven't found any I can afford and now all the local farms are closed down.As for birds,I have 5 exotic birds,10 hungry goslings and 30 chickens.Plus a dog,cats and fish.
The emu was 1 out of 4 eggs that hatched. We were doing some testing on a custom made turner versus hand turning with the eggs. Kevin is pretty cool. I will try to get some pictures before I go home tonight to share.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Yea, I keep telling myself to stick to 5 breeds, preferably 3 of each, Barred rocks, Speckled Sussex, buff orps, Polish, Houdans and maybe Jerseys or Wyandottes. I keep my silkies in a category all their own.

I have one Buff Orp who taught herself to jump into my arms if she needed to be saved. It happened twice with goose attacks. Bam! Fell right in my arms and didn't leave my lap for an hour. Now every night, she's in the wrong pen and can't get out so I bend down, she jumps in my arms and off we go. Silly girl!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hated to count, think we have 5 dozen total. Meaties, Cochin, Easter eggers, isa brown, red sex link, and barnyard mix all young and two hens of unknown age that were given to us.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts