Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I have 10 silkies which I don't count as chickens. Aside from that I have 22, and 2 of those had wandered into my property and never left.

·
Registered
78 Posts
8 currently- 3 silkies (browser keeps autocorrecting them into sillies :D ), and 5 rescued ex-commercial hybrids. All female, 6 currently laying and 2 brooding on rubber eggs in the coop :eek:

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
8 currently- 3 silkies (browser keeps autocorrecting them into sillies :D ), and 5 rescued ex-commercial hybrids. All female, 6 currently laying and 2 brooding on rubber eggs in the coop :eek:
I am so tired of being corrected. I could scream?

·
Yaya
284 Posts
one silkie black rooster, three of his sisters, all very different variations of Easter eggers,four years old and contributing a total of two or three eggs a week. Three Barred Rocks age 1 1/2, laying still pretty well an egg each a day.

Sent from my iPad using Chicken Forum
Mary Wirick, aka. Treehouse, Profwirick, Ma Wirick???

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 7

1 barred rock

2 RR

3 Golden comets and a heinz 57 roo

Used to have 8 but a hawk got one last week. We put a plastic netting over the top of the pen it seems to have helped

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
How many chickens do you have now????
I've been thinking of you lately! I hatched 10 silkies from you in March and I have to say that they are healthy and chunky and eat like vultures, LOL. All friendly, even a roo as my buddy.

So thanks to you, I have 10 more chickens than I did in February!

·
Registered
26 Posts
A couple months ago I threw away my addiction of metal detecting had 5 metal detectors. So Went into poultry as a hobby just to do something, 3 weeks into this and I bought myself my Serama flock, 4 silkies, an incubator, my daughter bought me 20 Red Range Broilers, bought myself 25 Black Australopes from Pure Poultry (got them 2 days ago) , and just ordered 30 Madison Females to be shipped on the 28th. I got 54 birds right now turning to 84 with the Madisons in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't call this a new addiction, would you?

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
A couple months ago I threw away my addiction of metal detecting had 5 metal detectors. So Went into poultry as a hobby just to do something, 3 weeks into this and I bought myself my Serama flock, 4 silkies, an incubator, my daughter bought me 20 Red Range Broilers, bought myself 25 Black Australopes from Pure Poultry (got them 2 days ago) , and just ordered 30 Madison Females to be shipped on the 28th. I got 54 birds right now turning to 84 with the Madisons in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't call this a new addiction, would you?
I guess so!

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I am trying to reduce by natural means but darn chickens keep showing up here or on my road!!!!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
How do you get other things done? I've never owned that many birds as you have, maybe 23 or 24 birds at once. For me at the time, it got to be too time consuming as I had a night shift job and other things to do during the day, not including sleep.
I felt more comfortable with a max of 15-18 chickens, even better at a dozen lol. My neighbors and friends enjoyed free eggs.
I'm currently only allowed 5 hens in the city, I have 6. If I could get away with it, I'd bump it up 5 or 6 more hens and a roo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How do you get other things done? I've never owned that many birds as you have, maybe 23 or 24 birds at once. For me at the time, it got to be too time consuming as I had a night shift job and other things to do during the day, not including sleep.
I felt more comfortable with a max of 15-18 chickens, even better at a dozen lol. My neighbors and friends enjoyed free eggs.
I'm currently only allowed 5 hens in the city, I have 6. If I could get away with it, I'd bump it up 5 or 6 more hens and a roo.
I live out in the county so we have no limits on livestock nor poultry . I'm disabled due to a stroke I had back in 2004 so I retired as a Police Officer. Now I'm just taking care of our 9 yr old daughter and after school so half of the day I'm at home messing around with my birds in our backyard

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think you'll like the Australorps. I still have one about 10 years of age that still lays.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I live out in the county so we have no limits on livestock nor poultry . I'm disabled due to a stroke I had back in 2004 so I retired as a Police Officer. Now I'm just taking care of our 9 yr old daughter and after school so half of the day I'm at home messing around with my birds in our backyard
I'm sorry to hear about your stroke. I served in law enforcement while in the Navy for 22 years. Like you, I enjoy spending time with my birds lol.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thats a lot of poop and coop cleaning time...about double what I ever kept.
Like you I am retired from civilian work...and folks would think I have "PLENTY" of time. But not so....I raise other livestock run a small gunsmith operation..currently and ongoingly trying to restore this old house..and plant and tend 5 acres of garden.
I'd like to have more birds than what I currently have at the moment (27 plus some Mallards) if for nothing else just the added amount of compost.

Don..my hats off to ya buddy!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm sorry about your stroke, but glad you have recuperated well and can spend time with your daughter and take care of your birds. Having a girl that age I can honestly tell you that one of the most important things a young girl can have to grow up to be a strong confident woman is a loving involved father! She learns from you how to respect herself and choose someone (when the time comes) who will treat her with respect as well! So while you may be "retired" you are doing the most important job you will EVER do! :D

41 - 60 of 112 Posts