So after looking all afternoon for my oriental girl

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Happeesupermom, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

We found her a few doors down. Unfortunately, we can't coax her out from under the trailer house. Any ideas?

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Whatever her favorite snack is, use that.

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Use a fishing net and go after her. ;)

4. Happeesupermom

We'll have to try again tomorrow. I'll send my son after her, if I have to. I think he's small enough to fit under the trailer. ;-)

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Go with food!! If she's spooked, a child crawling into her safe place will scare her off!! Or it would me :eek:. Make sure there is not other way she can get out from under the trailer, just the one way out.

6. Happeesupermom

My son went over with food in a familiar tray & was able to get her home. Then last night, she wasn't there when we shut them up for the night again.

I'm waiting on supplies to build their run, and it looks like we really need to put it up ASAP. Ugh.

7. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

Are you sure she doesn't have eggs near where she is hiding?

8. Happeesupermom

I hadn't considered that. She's only 15 weeks old. Isn't that a bit young for laying?

9. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

I would think so but there are always exceptions to the rule. It really depends on the breed

10. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

If she has been sleeping where she was for the past nights, then that is where she is used to being, and that is more than likely where she is. You will need to get her and keep her caged up for a week or more to make your place seem like home to her. She is where she thinks home is! Poor girl! :eek:

11. Happeesupermom

Well, she must be confused! She's been sleeping here for 15 weeks.... But then ran off. We caught her & brought her back. Then today, she's missing again!

She was the only polish lady in the flock (her friend died within the first week), and she's physically smaller than the other girls, so they peck on her some. Maybe she ran away looking for love?!

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My polish is troublesome too. Very skittish, can't see well due to the poof and small. Still hasn't given me an egg. Might be a cockerel.

13. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

i have had some of mine get attitude right before they start laying, so you should cage her until you can finish their pen- also, being low girl on the order might be causing some issues too

14. patlet

patlet New Member

Sounds like she's getting too much harassment.

15. Happeesupermom

So, after the second time of "disappearing", we looked and looked, and couldn't find her. She wasn't even where we found her last time. I was hoping she'd find her way home, though. But I'm afraid she's just gone-gone, as she hasn't returned, and we can't find her anywhere... and no "evidence" of foul play, either. :(

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I had a chicken do that. She was missing for 3 days. I gave her up for dead. Then I opened the coop door and there she was. My friend told me her daughter had one that did that, but I wouldn't believe her. And she was right after all. Hope your story has a happy ending.

17. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Nice story!

18. Happeesupermom

Well, I've resigned myself to having lost her. But I still hope she finds her way home. I hope she didn't get into any trouble. It would make me sad to find out she suffered.

I got 5 new little ones yesterday, though they can't replace her.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member