Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a snake in the coop stealing eggs. Is there a natural way to keep them out of the coop? I don't want to use poison cause they free graze outside the pen. Any suggestions will be helpful.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm a newbie, and my girls aren't even old enough to lay, but I am thinking that the electric chicken fencing that I have seen ads for, or getting a smaller mesh (1/2 inch hardware cloth or smaller?) might discourage snake trespassing?

·
Registered
558 Posts
One of the forums here is "Parasites, Pests, & Predators", give that section a try!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Keep the surrounding grass short. For screen/fencing use 1/4" hardware. They can still get through 1/2 inch. Try to make sure any gaps are sealed. That's all I know of to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mothballs or even a little bit of diesel around the outside if the coop will work. I live in south louisiana and snakes are a constant. But those two things work pretty good

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Have you seen the snake? I'm wondering how big it is? And what type of fencing do you have around your coop? It has to be a good size snake girth wise not length to eat an egg unless its a bantam egg. My bfs son owns snakes and I've learned alot about them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Years ago an old-timer told me that he put wooden eggs in the nest boxes and drilled holes between the boxes. The holes were large enough for a snake but too small for the egg. He said that a snake would swallow the wooden egg then get stuck in the hole. He said that snakes can't back up. I don't know if it is true but the old-timer was convincing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Years ago an old-timer told me that he put wooden eggs in the nest boxes and drilled holes between the boxes. The holes were large enough for a snake but too small for the egg. He said that a snake would swallow the wooden egg then get stuck in the hole. He said that snakes can't back up. I don't know if it is true but the old-timer was convincing.
Old-timers usually are convincing. I did see a picture somewhere (I don't remember where, here or in a mag) of a snake who had feasted on eggs, you could see the egg bumps going down his body, had gotten in through chicken wire, but couldn't get out because of the egg bumps, and so was caught and dispatched. I think getting the snakes to eat the "wooden" eggs would be problematic, since they taste everything before they swallow it. Don't go drilling holes. Snakes are designed to move forward and sideways for the most part, but if they just swallowed an egg and it is close to the head (which it would be), they can leverage with the rest of their bodies and pull their head back out. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I see it.

·
https://www.facebook.com/back2simplelife
382 Posts
*shivers* hate snakes! We have rat snakes aka chicken snakes bad here! Short grass, hardware cloth (they can climb so all the way).. then we do morning and night checks. I hate killing them off as they kill copperheads (and the others) prey but... after losing a pullet I am mad! It tried to swallow it and I guess couldn't so it spit it back out.. sigh I refuse to use moth balls as they are so toxic! We have pets, kids and free ranging chickens!

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you can handle the noise, guinea hens are supposed to be a deterrent for snakes (& ticks, if you have those in your area).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buddy said:
They used to make glass eggs... The snake would swallow & die but I would think the animal activist people would have stopped that years ago...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts