Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just had my first experience w a snake! I'm scared of them and I know that a chicken snake won't hurt me, but it will make me hurt myself getting away! My babies (9 months old) were raising cain when I went outside so I went out n opened the door and talked to them n things seemed ok until I was shutting the door. There where I wouldve stepped laid a snake. I immediately shut the door and since I don't like to mess w them for my father n law to come over n kill it. It wasn't a chicken snake,.but was a moccasin. What can I do inside n outside to keep them out which will also keep me safe as well. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Just make sure the screen to the run is too small them to get through (using 1/4 inch hardware cloth for screen), and every crack and crevice is gone which can be hard to do. We actually used an old sill plate to screw on to the bottom of the main door so nothing can slip through underneath too. It makes my door extend past the door entry on the outside. Keeping grass cut super short helps too. Luckily no snakes have found their way into my coop or run "yet" because unfortunately, there are plenty of small gaps for one to sneak into the run through between the 2 sections of run and the way the main run butts up to the coop. I'm not a fan of snakes either regardless of how much good they do. I turn into a major screaming, angry, sissy when I see one. :eek: We don't have any poisonous snakes my way but we do have pine snakes which get exceptionally huge. Those I absolutely will shoot! I have honestly seen one of those reach from one side of the 2 lane road to the other side - reaching the grass on both sides. :eek: Thankfully only seen one that big once and it was a long ways away from my house! Did also have one make its way into the house the first summer I lived here. Neighbor rescued me from that one. It was hideous!

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have our entire coop enclosed in wire mesh. We also have a .22 ranch rifle handy. We have lots of rattle snakes around here. In fact my hubby is on the way to the vet now with one of our dogs who got bit by one this morning. :(. The dogs are harder to keep safe than the chickens.

image-1105750394.jpg

If you own a gun I recommend snake shot just in case you aren't sure about your shooting ability.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
paramedic707 said:
Ok I just had my first experience w a snake! I'm scared of them and I know that a chicken snake won't hurt me, but it will make me hurt myself getting away! My babies (9 months old) were raising cain when I went outside so I went out n opened the door and talked to them n things seemed ok until I was shutting the door. There where I wouldve stepped laid a snake. I immediately shut the door and since I don't like to mess w them for my father n law to come over n kill it. It wasn't a chicken snake,.but was a moccasin. What can I do inside n outside to keep them out which will also keep me safe as well. Lol
Put a fake egg out.like a Easter egg or I use a wooden egg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts