Smart Birds

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by trey1432, Jul 14, 2012.

1. trey1432

trey1432 New Member

People often ask and I tell about our chicken escapades. I have always said, chickens are smart birds - well, for the most part.

We reinforced our fence to protect the chickens from our big dog. They have developed a taste for pepper leaves. We wrapped chicken wire around our plants - the chickens have learned how to go around that - sit on the reinforced fence - and the feast can be theirs...

Now if the little ones would learn their roosts are in the coop and not on my son's window ledge at night, would make life even more easier.

Attached Files:

2. cl_dewey

cl_dewey Junior Member

Hahaha...I get so irritated when ppl say chickens are stupid. They can reason out their problems, and remember the solutions for next time. I like to say that my girls are more ocd than me. They have their day planned out from the time I open the coop until they go in to roost, I always know which part of the yard to look in.

3. trey1432

trey1432 New Member

Exactly depends on the time of day. They are very OCD and are trained, or have me trained.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I think they probably have you trained. I know ours have us trained ... or wrapped around their little "claw" anyway. :D

Beautiful birds by the way!

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Birds have to be smart or they end up as lunch.

6. chickenman18

chickenman18 New Member

7. trey1432

trey1432 New Member

I have three Easter Eggers, one Rhode island Red, one Americanas, and one Plymouth