Slippy's Coop & Run Design and Build!

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by Slippy, May 14, 2020.

1. Slippy

Slippy Member

Started work on the Chicken Courtyard area that will be made up of some Raised Beds in which we will plant some Thorn-less (CORRECTION) BLACKBERRY Bushes, Comfrey, and some Herbs like Lavender, Thyme, Oregano.

I plan on wrapping another layer of Hardware cloth above the Planter Boxes for an extra layer of security when they are free ranging.

PS We still have only 4 chicks! No Chicken Math at Slippy Lodge! IMG_2138 (002).jpg IMG_2140 (002).jpg IMG_2132 (002).jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Sylie likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

There you are, babies have sure grown up from their last photo shoot.

You can't help yourself can you? Continuing to construct visually appealing structures. I see the chairs for those take it easy and just watch the peeps times.

I have to ask, what did you use for the planters? I'm knocking on the door of having to replace two of mine because of rot.

Thornless blueberries? I didn't know they had thorns.

Slippy likes this.

3. Slippy

Slippy Member

Hey Ms Robin and Happy Independence Day!

Yes Ma'am, the Coop and Run Build-Out continues! The planter boxes are made from 2x12 Framing lumber, (un treated) but painted with a primer paint, SunFlower Yellow I believe is the color.

And my mistake BLACKBERRIES! NOT BLUEBERRIES! YES! Blackberries now have a hybrid plant that is thornless and produces berry's! I don't believe the seeds will germinate and produce fruit but a plant will yield you many years of production. At least thats what a buddy of mine says!

The chicks are doing well and they are a wonderful source of education and entertainment. Chicken TV is way better than regular TV but I will admit that I tend to consume an adult beverage or 3 as I watch my Chicken TV! :)

One question for you please...I think all of chickens are pullets but can you take a look and confirm? My local feed and seed store admitted to me that his supplier does not always do the best job of separating the cockrells! o_O

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. robin416

And to you and Mrs. Slippy a happy 4th.

I figured it would be untreated since you're planting edibles in it. Was the paint latex or oil base? Got to learn as much as I can while I've got your attention.

I'm not the best when it comes to berry bushes, I had some blueberries in the N. GA mountains. I knew they were thornless but I thought maybe I just bought a thornless variety.

Watching chicken TV is relaxation time. If that involves an adult beverage during that kick back time, go for it. Mrs. Slippy can always bed you down in the coop if you go past three beverages.

I can't see them well enough but if you look for any that have a larger comb that seems to be getting some pink or red to it while the others don't, there's your boy.

Slippy likes this.
  5. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

YET! 4 chickens right now...no one said chicken math attacks instantly, it could be a year down the road, 2 yrs....you never know, it's a sneaky little addiction

Slippy likes this.
  6. Sylie

BTW, it looks amazing! I think it will be hall of fame worthy.

Slippy likes this.
  7. Slippy

Slippy Member

Thanks @Sylie

8. Slippy

Slippy Member

I added a Swing and an outside Roosting "Ladder" in the Chicken Run area. They seem to enjoy it in the evenings but it was too dang hot when I took this picture a few minutes ago. The gals are all in the shade under the coop.
    IMG_2170 (002).jpg

IMG_2171 (002).jpg

9. robin416

Yeah, humans should listen to their birds. Sometimes they're smarter than we are.

Slippy likes this.
  10. Sylie

So nice! I'm sure when the weather cooperates, they will be all over their new toys. Good Job!

Slippy likes this.
  11. Slippy

Slippy Member

Work and Travel for Work has been kicking my buttocks so I haven't had much time to complete the Chicken Courtyard. The weather has been awesome since the last remnants of hurricane Sally blew through so I took some time and did a little work on the Coop area.

Our hens are doing well, they seem happy and are growing fast. One girl is the biggest and this weekend she started acting a little strange and kept to herself. The others had a blast while I was doing work on the Chicken Courtyard so I treated them to some watermelon and the "broody acting" girl joined in the watermelon party.

Sunny, 75 degrees, blue skys so I poured myself a nice chilled Pinot Grigio to admire my work! Should be finished with the Gate and Sidewalll in the next couple of weeks!

What do we plant in the Raised Bed Planter Boxes????? Suggestions appreciated!

Please enjoy! 2020 9-20 Coop Run and Courtyard.jpg

12. robin416

I thought you had your plants picked out already. I think the thing I'd stay away from is anything that might draw unwanted predators. Not sure you've got bear up that way but if you do, no berries.

I don't know how you keep making that spot better and better but you do. The coop all by itself was wonderful, now the courtyard is going to make it absolutely attention getting.

Slippy likes this.
  13. Slippy

Slippy Member

Thank you @robin416 !!!

No bear up my way, and I've eliminated most of the coyotes. With our dogs, most predators stay away but we are always on high alert.

I'm second guessing some of my earlier choices and now I am thinking Thornless Blackberries for sure and some sort of perennials. Mrs Slippy is way too organic garden minded to understand so I wanted some input. She's a funny gardener!

Beautiful day, I'll say it again!!!! Early Autumn in the South is a reminder why we endure the brutal heat and humidity all summer!

14. robin416

Days like this are amazing! I wish we had a whole lot more of them.

Mrs. Slippy is there. She can see how the sun impacts anything planted there, what is going to need to be watered often. Will the blackberries shade out anything else planted there? That kind of thing.

And are the girls going to have access? Anything you plant there will have to survive them if they choose the planters as a good place to cool off during the high summer heat and humidity.

Slippy likes this.
  15. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

How's the build going?

Slippy likes this.
  16. Slippy

Slippy Member

Slow! Went out of town to visit Son2 and Daughter In Law and just got back. Don't feel like working today, visiting young married couples is hard work!

Might just do a little Day-Drinkin' today!:)

Slacker and Poultry Judge like this.
  17. Slippy

Slippy Member

Finally had some time this AM to build the final wall of the Chicken Courtyard! Looks pretty good if I say so myself!
    All I have to do now is build the gate and we will have a nice little courtyard to let the girls roam a bit!

Time for an Adult Beverage or 3! IMG_2262 (002).jpg

Slacker, Poultry Judge and robin416 like this.
  18. robin416

At least you know how to reward yourself for attractive work well done.

Poultry Judge and Slippy like this.
  19. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

That is a very nice setup!

Slippy likes this.
  20. Slippy

Slippy Member

Finally built the gate for the Chicken Yard. The girls are happy and its a nice place to watch them explore!
    IMG_2277.jpg

Slacker, robin416 and Poultry Judge like this.