Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I free range my hens during the day and they always go back in their coop at sunset and i lock them in. I was late getting home from dinner and I found "ms Zebra" roosting in a tree. I panicked because I don't want her to be a coyote treat so I was able to get a stick to push her out. Anyone know why

image-3874706101.jpg

they do that? She was also hesitant about going back in the coop. Almost like she got into a fight and was avoiding going back in....

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like she is at the bottom of the pecking order and is not welcome in the coop. You might have to herd them into the coop a few minutes earlier than they normally go to make sure 'ms Zebra’ gets inside. May be a temporary thing and she just needs to find her own roosting place inside the coop.
I have one that is not allowed on the roost pole sometime and she will sleep in a nest for a night or so. Then everything is OK again and she’s back with the rest.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have 7 hens and a rooster that sleep in one of my trees. Its nature, it gets dark and they find a place to roost. She may just prefer the tree.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts