Sitting and stopping question

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Ezekiel, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Ezekiel

Ezekiel New Member

I had a hen sitting for about 3 weeks , and for the last week I have smelt a fowl dead type smell , well this morning she was out and about and I looked in the clutch a there is 1 or 2 eggs that had busted a while back , and without her o. The clutch the odor is bad ... is she done sitting on them ??? Should I just wipe out that clutch and start a new ??? Can I just remove nesting and bad eggs and put new hay and the other eggs ??? I'm not certain what to do !!! Any help would be great ...

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

She's done, for now. Clean everything out, don't expect her to sit until the hormones that trigger her going broody have started again.

Do you have a rooster? How old are the birds? What are the breeds?

3. Ezekiel

Ezekiel New Member

Yes there is a rooster , but when she started sitting there were 2 roosters in that pen ... I have a mix of breeds in this pen , she is a orange buff ... all my birds a atleast 1 year old to 1 1/2 years in this pen ..

4. robin416

Well, they are old enough to know how. It's odd that the eggs didn't appear to be fertile. If she sits again candle the eggs after seven days to see if there is development.

Sylie likes this.
  5. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Exactly my advice also, Listen to Robin, she knows her stuff

6. robin416

I'm not the only one who knows their stuff so don't be so modest, Sylie.

7. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

:D Well we are both pretty smart chicks