Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
chicken momma
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given two 1 & 1/2 year old hens that had been abandoned on a good ol boy's land. He believed them to be silkie hens, and they mostly look and behave like silkie hens. However, after further investigation upon getting them home, I noticed some un-silkie like features (which does not really concern me as they are beautiful hens and decent layers -- AND they were free). For starters, they have featherless legs and only four toes. They do not have black skin but their legs are light blueish. Their feathers are white with very light brown speckles. Otherwise they are pretty much what I expected as far as silkies go. My husband and I guessed they may have been crossed with something to improve egg productivity, but we don't know enough about chicken breeds to say what.
I included a few pictures (the best I could get thus far). If any one has any ideas please let me hear them! They average about five eggs a week, are very vocal and roost almost all day long if undisturbed. They do not seem very broody, as most silkie hens are. Anyways, just a free clues I hope will help.
Thank you!!!

Attachments

·
chicken momma
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That must be it. Looks EXACTLY like what my hens do. The guy I got them from didn't really know much about them, just wanted them out of his yard.
Thank you for solving our mystery!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Very nice hens! I am trying to get me some polish's. I got some in the bator now. They are black with white tops though. I would love a silkie x polish or even better a frizzle x polish. Google the pics, beautiful! Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts