Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just wondering what breed one of my chickens is... I supposedly bought two silkies when they were 8 weeks old however as I have watched them grow, I see some differences! They are both laying now-have been for a few months. As the photos indicate-she has two long circular flaps under her beak and quite a large black crest. My other silkie doesn't have these. Her feathers are definitely like a silkies but she seems bushier than my other white one. Does Nyone have any idea what she might be crossed with?

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Non- bearded silkies tend to have larger combs and waddles than the bearded but her comb is quite unique. I don't know if I ever seen one like that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure what a rose comb is I'm sorry! But it's definitely quite different to my other silkie-the comb is quite large-it almost bobbles/wobbles when she moves her head?!? And does anyone know about the long flappy bits under her beak are? They almost look like a human earlobe! But under her beak on either side? Thanks for all the feedback so far! The other difference, she is large in size than my other silkie..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Non bearded silkies don't have that type of comb that I ever saw! It's probably a cross. My first silkie was non bearded had to rehome him because he was a cockerel, they will have waddles but not a comb like that. Not exactly sure what it's crossed with but you likely can find out by doing some searching on what has a comb like that. Maybe it can narrow the search a bit. It's really a cutie what ever it's crossed with! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It certainly is a bit of a mystery! Ill have to do some research! Not that it really matters, I could just tell she was quite different to my white silkie in terms of comb size and style!! Didn't think she was a pure breed as I was told when I bought her!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I say non bearded silkie with the wrong comb. I would say mixed brred though. I have a male silkie , non bearded that has a bad comb. Its just not show quality, it happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts