Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I made my fist mistake I bought 2x silkie roosters from a market.
Then I bought 2x silkie hens from a breeder putting them with my 2x reds 1x red rooster and the 2x silkie rooster didn’t work so I separated them.
This week I bought 4x silkie hens as I thought the issue why the hens where so scared was because we didn’t have enough hens.
Today I put 3x silkie hens with 1 rooster in my main coop (also with the reds)
And 3 x in 1 cage with another rooster to try and get them used to being together
1 coop with just the silkies is fine.
The other the 3 silkie hens are cowering in the laying box.
Will this eventually work in my favour ?

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
Not with it taking a toll on the hens. If the roosters are young, if the girls are not laying yet the girls are being hounded by him and they're just not old enough.

Remove him until at least the girls are laying. I had one young roo that had to be taught manners by an older hen because he scared the girls with is sexual aggression.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am planning on getting a one year old Lavender Orpington Rooster tomorrow. My 20 week old 6 pullets have had no male since early January. He grew up with them but got so mean to them and me that I gave him away. What is the best way to introduce my new Rooster to them and the best way for me to endear myself to this rooster? My chickens love me and are like pets, sitting in my lap and following me everywhere. How do I befriend him as well?

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
You only befriend him if he wants to be friends. Roosters are wired to protect his flock, not to be a lap chicken to humans.

Divide off your coop so the girls can see him but they don't have physical contact.

BTW, you do know he should be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks before getting anywhere near your girls don't you? You need to make sure he's not carrying any disease to them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You only befriend him if he wants to be friends. Roosters are wired to protect his flock, not to be a lap chicken to humans.

Divide off your coop so the girls can see him but they don't have physical contact.

BTW, you do know he should be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks before getting anywhere near your girls don't you? You need to make sure he's not carrying any disease to them.
Yes mam. He has been vaccinated as he came from Meyer Hatchery as mine did. The man got 10 and got 3 roosters so he only needs 1. I would not have one to go with mine unless they did come from an accredited hatchery. He will still be quarantined from mine. In this time period, I will try to get on a friendly basis with him so he learns to trust me, and know that I mean him no harm and I am his food source. I have plenty of space for them but do not free range.

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
Meyer's vaccination is only against Mareks. There are respiratory diseases that poultry can harbor that don't make themselves known until they're under stress. Like being moved to a new place. There are no cures for those diseases. You wouldn't be able to bring new birds in without infecting them or rehome birds to others because your birds would make theirs sick.

It's nothing against the people with the birds. It's a threat to all flocks no matter how well they're kept.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Meyer's vaccination is only against Mareks. There are respiratory diseases that poultry can harbor that don't make themselves known until they're under stress. Like being moved to a new place. There are no cures for those diseases. You wouldn't be able to bring new birds in without infecting them or rehome birds to others because your birds would make theirs sick.

It's nothing against the people with the birds. It's a threat to all flocks no matter how well they're kept.
At least 2 week quarantine possible 3

·
Registered
211 Posts
I today got a White Frizzle Cochin Bantam rooster from a petting zoo here who has closed because of COVID. He is the sweetest most friendly, funniest little chicken I ever saw. Of course he is social distancing right now. He is a year old but so small I am afraid my girls who are large may pick on him. From where they are, they see him but show no interest in him. He seems very interested in them My fear is my girls may pick on him because he is small. Is it likely that hens pick on a rooster even if he is a bantam. Please advise.

·
Registered
528 Posts
What Robin said. I am by no means an expert, but I'm overloaded with roosters and have picked up a couple of things. (I have 1roo-3hens and 4roos-3hens in my two flocks!)
First- unsalted peanuts. Your rooster will love you. (Ha)
Second- I would just spend as much time moving around near him as you can so he gets used to that too, and learns your movements aren't threatening etc.
Third- like she said, together but not together when it's time to intro them.
Last- you may have to establish yourself with the rooster first. My small boys all tried to overpower me at some point. It didn't work in their favor, and now I'm top rooster! The Cochins I pinned, and pushed heads toward ground by the back of their head/neck til they held still. My Chip used to peck and puff up sometimes, but finally sorted out that he only weighs a pound and I can hold him all day long and he can't hurt me. He's the sweetest fella ever now.
As for the hens- they'll accept him if they want to accept him. I'm sure they'll challenge him and he will have to stand up to them- so it will either be ok or... not.
I hope it goes well- and I'm sure I didn't say anything you didn't already know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts