Chicken Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a hen from the local feed store. At the time she didn't show any signs of illness. Then she started to make a weird gasping noise and rattling in her throat. As of now I have six of my hens that are doing the same thing. Today I doses all of them with Vet-Rx and penned the sick ones separate and added antibiotics in the water.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Scary. =( You are doing everything right for them. Sending lots of feel better soon wishes to them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Added 2 more hen to the sick pen. Some are worst than others. All are showing no real signs of relief. Two of the hens faces are so swollen the y cannot see. I'm very discouraged at the moment.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I have no idea what to tell you that would be of help other than to make sure they have added electrolytes. I was hoping to find an up-date that things were getting better. =(

·
Registered
113 Posts
It could be chronic respiratory disease? I'm not entirely positive, but that seems like the closest thing I could think of.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
It's been 2 days since the beginning of the antibiotic, what kind did you get? If they are sick, they may not be drinking enough to get the antibiotic in them. Get an eyedropper, and force some water down them. Or if they are drinking, you might consider upping the dosage. Are they sneezing and coughing, or are they just making funny sounds from their throat? Have you looked down their throats for a gape worm?

·
Registered
468 Posts
hi it could be time to start with the injection of antibiotics!! it gets into the system quicker and its more potent! please, it should make a HUGE difference. you can get tylan injectable and read for dosing if your not comfortable giving the shot watch a couple videos on it from you tube, believe it or not that's helpful and just go for it! your birds will thank you for it later! what's likely is they are not getting enough concentration of there medicine. maybe not drinking enough. time to inject! its scary at first but you can do it! I've even had to inject my koi fish in times of illness,now that's tricky but it makes a Great difference in recovery! getting that antibiotic into the blood stream is really important now! i Hope this helps and please take this suggestion you will start seeing a difference after you inject
i really Hope they get well! please keep us posted! i wish you the very best! please let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I hadn't got back to you guys. I have been very busy. The chickens are getting better each day. Now it is my dad. He had a heart attack last night. He is doing better and should be in the clear.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Looks like a diet change for Dad is in order. Watch Food Matters. It's a great movie about a heart surgeon who found food is the best medicine. True! Good luck Dad! Feel better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
vet rx

We use that Vet RX stuff. we Had several get sick last year. Unfortanatlly we were told to late about it and lost more than half our stock. We drop two drops down there throat and put some under there wings for when they sleep. so far it has work on them. We also heard Lime. take there bedding out and dust lime on the floor, then cover it with Fresh bedding. Good Luck hope this helped even a little bit.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts