Chicken Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Premium Member
Bright green poop isnt good. He's probably not eating or drinking enough or the food is being properly digested. I suspect the latter but I dont know the cause.
Have you looked inside his mouth for lesions or anything out of the ordinary?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Have you got a Petsmart nearby? They sell something by Exact that is a powder you mix to feed baby cage birds. It's in a white container. You can mix it as thick or thin as you want. He might dive into that. I always kept some on hand for any of mine that were off their feed.

There is also a water additive called Rooster Booster, at the feed store, that is loaded with vitamins and minerals.

I'm at a loss. He should be making more attempts at this point.
I have the poultry cell rooster booster. He hates it, but I have given him a few syringes full of it mixed in water. He ate some cucumber this evening and more blueberries and some feed as well. I mix hen drench electrolytes in his water wich he drinks as long as there is ice cubes floating in it. 馃槀. I tried giving him some plain yogurt and he looked at me like I was crazy.
I am stumped as well. I am wondering now just how long to keep this up. I originally thought that I would bring him in for a few days and he would get better or pass away... tonight is night 6 with not a lot of change. I don't want him to suffer but don't want to give up on him too soon either. Ughh. The hard part of loving these little yard raptors! 馃挃馃槳

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Bright green poop isnt good. He's probably not eating or drinking enough or the food is being properly digested. I suspect the latter but I dont know the cause.
Have you looked inside his mouth for lesions or anything out of the ordinary?
I agree. It's grass green too. I have looked in his mouth. there are no lesions. I know that he is not getting enough liquids, (I read that they needed a cup a day) but I am trying to force it with a syringe full of hen drench electrolytes every hour or so. Tomorrow he will be by himself while I work, but I will run home at lunch to tend to him. He has me stumped.

Administrator
Add water to what ever he'll eat. Try some cooked oatmeal with a little sugar. Make it a bit loose so there's extra fluids. If he thinks it's devine to eat you can add some of his feed to it too. Try using a shiny spoon to trigger his curiosity. It's probably why the ice cubes get his attention, there's a bit of sparkle to them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Add water to what ever he'll eat. Try some cooked oatmeal with a little sugar. Make it a bit loose so there's extra fluids. If he thinks it's devine to eat you can add some of his feed to it too. Try using a shiny spoon to trigger his curiosity. It's probably why the ice cubes get his attention, there's a bit of sparkle to them.
I made him a plate of chopped cucumber, watermelon and scrambled egg this morning along with feed, dry oatmeal, flock party, and a couple of blueberries. Added ice to his water as well. He ate a good bit of it by the time that I got home from work. He also had moved himself in the cage, which is new.
I am really struggling. As soon as I got home from work I went out to find a coach whip snake in the run. So I had to fight with him for a good bit to run him off. then when I went to put everyone to bed this evening, one of my Easter egger hens, Jade, is missing 馃槶 she was there just a half hour before and my daughter was outside in the pool all evening and said that she never heard anything. I have searched for any signs of feather piles or anything else that would indicate a struggle and I have found nothing. I am just heartbroken. First I have to get rid of a beautiful Rooster. Another one is on death's doorstep and now one of my beautiful hens is missing. It's been a rough week... 馃槶 I am going to pray that she is hiding somewhere and will come out at daylight... even though in my head I know that is unlikely.

Administrator
I've been dreading your next post since you didn't say anything yesterday. That's a positive that he put that much effort into his day to day. He might be one of those that is, "I'm hurt, poor me, I can't move." You know those kinds of humans.

My bet is, Jade has a nest somewhere and has gone broody. Look in all the places that look good for laying an egg or two.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I've been dreading your next post since you didn't say anything yesterday. That's a positive that he put that much effort into his day to day. He might be one of those that is, "I'm hurt, poor me, I can't move." You know those kinds of humans.

My bet is, Jade has a nest somewhere and has gone broody. Look in all the places that look good for laying an egg or two.
Yes, I think you are right about him being a poor me kinda guy! lol! He actually moved about a foot in his cage this morning with no prompting! Maybe he is getting stronger. As far as my poor Jade. She was only 16 weeks old and not laying yet, so I really think that something got her. We have a completely fenced in yard (only 1/4 acre fenced) with thick brush outside of the fencing. I checked all of the brush last night and again this morning. There's nothing. Not a feather... My neighbor has seen 2 very big hoot owls in the last few weeks so I think that was the culprit. I am not letting the flock out today until I can go sit outside with them. (And my 2 roos are protesting loudly about it right now too!馃槀). I took them out a fresh head of cabbage and a half of a watermelon to peck at this morning so maybe they won't get too board.

Super Moderator
I wonder what he'd do if you took him outside and plunked down in the grass without the cage.

For now, keep an eye on the fence perimeter. If she did get spooked and flew over it, she won't fly back over.
As Robin said, check brush lines and fence lines.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Good morning. I just wanted to follow up. Dustin is still exactly the same. He eats, drinks, & poo's. He tries to get around using his wings, but still can't stand. I even tried doing some leg movements for him. It has been 2.5 weeks. last night while taking him out to sit in the grass for a bit, I noticed a pressure sore on his chest. 馃槩. I have tried absolutely everything that I know to try, followed suggestions and given him lots of love. It just wasn't enough. I have asked my neighbor if he will put him down for me, because I just can't do it and my husband is working out of town. So this morning my neighbor is going to take him away for me. I am heartbroken. 馃挃馃槳

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I am so sorry Nixchicks. Sometimes there is that one that just doesn't respond to anything we try. We each have been there more than we would like. Just know you did what you could for him and gave him a chance.
Thank you so much. It's heartbreaking, for sure. All of your comments and support was such a help 鉂

41 - 53 of 53 Posts