Chicken Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Well I do but in the huge storms we get everything floods into the trench. I can't remember why my dad put it on the slop side of the pen. But I think that's the problem, we are planning to build a barn for the goats and chickens and redoing the fence. Hopefully that will solve the issue.
I hope you get it done. It's such a headache dealing with the excess water.

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
You are so right!!!😂. Chicken math is a real thing. When I went to get my chicks I told my husband that I was getting 6, Max! The next morning, somehow there were 16 in the brooder!🤷‍♀️😂
I am going to keep Sapphire in the run if he hasn't gone to a new home when I put Dillon back outside (providing he improves enough)
He is eating more but still will not stand up.
Is he still on the aspirin?

Check his legs to see if one is hotter than the other. Look for any swelling.

And just to add to your headaches when you put him back. No one in the flock is going to welcome him back. You're going to have to do a reintroduction. Make him a safe area where they can see and hear him. And keep him in there for a couple days to a week. Then let him back in with them but be ready to yank him back out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is he still on the aspirin?

Check his legs to see if one is hotter than the other. Look for any swelling.

And just to add to your headaches when you put him back. No one in the flock is going to welcome him back. You're going to have to do a reintroduction. Make him a safe area where they can see and hear him. And keep him in there for a couple days to a week. Then let him back in with them but be ready to yank him back out.
oh my! Thank you, I hadn't thought of that!!! his legs are really warm and one does seem a little bigger than the other. What would that mean?

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Try adding some unsweetened Kool Aid, that might get him drinking more.

I am concerned though, he should be up moving a bit more. Depression can hit them too. Is there anyway to give him a friend to hang with?

The easiest way to check for heat in an area of a leg is to hold both legs in the same place. If there's swelling it just means he sprained something and will need time to heal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Try adding some unsweetened Kool Aid, that might get him drinking more.

I am concerned though, he should be up moving a bit more. Depression can hit them too. Is there anyway to give him a friend to hang with?

The easiest way to check for heat in an area of a leg is to hold both legs in the same place. If there's swelling it just means he sprained something and will need time to heal.
The one leg is a bit swollen and warmer than the other. We had to do a "butt bath" this morning and I also gave him 125 mg of amoxicillin this morning. He has actually perked up a tad since then, I think. Maybe it's just wishful thinking though. 🤷‍♀️

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
I'm not a big proponent for using antibiotics when there isn't a clear reason for them. So use them cautiously.

Can you bring him a friend in? Did he get along with the other less aggressive roo? Did he have a girl that seemed to be OK with him? At this point, I'd like to see his reaction when he sees another of his flock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm not a big proponent for using antibiotics when there isn't a clear reason for them. So use them cautiously.

Can you bring him a friend in? Did he get along with the other less aggressive roo? Did he have a girl that seemed to be OK with him? At this point, I'd like to see his reaction when he sees another of his flock.
I agree with the antibiotic statement. It's kind of a last ditch effort, I guess. With no real improvement since Wednesday and him still refusing to stand up, my thinking was maybe infection in the swollen leg. 🤷‍♀️.
I talked to my daughter (a Pharmacist) about what antibiotic would be a good "basic " one to try. She suggested Amoxicillin at 125mg 2x a day for a few days. My background is in pharmaceutical manufacturing and 3 of my 4 daughters are in the medical field, so I know that your concerns over antibiotic use are very valid. Resistance to overly used antibiotics is real.
We have been bringing my other dominecker roo, Dustin, in some. (He is even more of a people rooster than Dustin) As well as a little leghorn hen. He seems unconcerned with them and they steer clear of him. (though they are a little vocal with clucking and so forth when they come in.).
I guess at this point it's a waiting game. I do feel like the clock is ticking though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I agree with the antibiotic statement. It's kind of a last ditch effort, I guess. With no real improvement since Wednesday and him still refusing to stand up, my thinking was maybe infection in the swollen leg. 🤷‍♀️.
I talked to my daughter (a Pharmacist) about what antibiotic would be a good "basic " one to try. She suggested Amoxicillin at 125mg 2x a day for a few days. My background is in pharmaceutical manufacturing and 3 of my 4 daughters are in the medical field, so I know that your concerns over antibiotic use are very valid. Resistance to overly used antibiotics is real.
We have been bringing my other dominecker roo, Dustin, in some. (He is even more of a people rooster than Dustin) As well as a little leghorn hen. He seems unconcerned with them and they steer clear of him. (though they are a little vocal with clucking and so forth when they come in.).
I guess at this point it's a waiting game. I do feel like the clock is ticking though.
*** Dillon is the sick roo, Dustin is the healthy one. I wrote Dustin in the above statement for both of them. I am still calling them Daisy & Daffodil half the time because that was their names until they started crowing!lol! They probably have an identity crisis!🤦🏼‍♀️🤷‍♀️😂

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm glad you understand my hesitancy about the antibiotics. Just like us humans they can mess up his GI tract so be watching for it.

I don't like that he didn't perk up when you brought the others in. How about taking him outside?
I know. I just told my husband that maybe we should take him out in the sunshine for a bit, but sit with him. (Great minds think alike.)😂. One positive note, is that I put a little icecube in his water and he started drinking a lot more! He pecks at the ice then drinks a little more. He is sleeping so much though. He wakes up and drinks/eats a little (while still laying down) then Right back to sleep. it's like he can't keep his eyes open. 💔

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
I would take him out. Depression is a big thing with these guys when so much changes so quickly. You won't know if it means anything to him at all until you do.

If you don't think he's eating enough you can mix some of his food in water to see if he's tempted to eat more. Or any kind of wet food that is tempting, oatmeal, cooked rice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I know. I just told my husband that maybe we should take him out in the sunshine for a bit, but sit with him. (Great minds think alike.)😂. One positive note, is that I put a little icecube in his water and he started drinking a lot more! He pecks at the ice then drinks a little more. He is sleeping so much though. He wakes up and drinks/eats a little (while still laying down) then Right back to sleep. it's like he can't keep his eyes open. 💔
I would take him out. Depression is a big thing with these guys when so much changes so quickly. You won't know if it means anything to him at all until you do.

If you don't think he's eating enough you can mix some of his food in water to see if he's tempted to eat more. Or any kind of wet food that is tempting, oatmeal, cooked rice.
I agree! It's raining here so we were waiting for it to stop before we take him out. 3 of the flock have spent time with him inside today so far. I scrambled up an egg for him earlier and he ate about half of it right away, which did my heart good. I am going to cook him another one later this evening. Thank you so much for all of the advice and suggestions. It really has helped me a lot!❤

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm really puzzled about what is going on with Dustin. From the pic it looks like his eye is nice and round, not droopy looking. Is his comb still bright red?

I would really work at taking him and his cage outdoors as soon as the rain lets up.
Yes. I am stumped as well. It's still raining so he will have to wait until tomorrow for his field trip, but now his face has gotten a little bit pale. But he is starting to drink more. (I put an ice cube in his hen drench water and he loves pecking at it and it then encourages him to take big drinks)
I am still holding out hope but each day that he doesn't stand up makes me more and more concerned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Can you check him for any unusual swelling on his body? I just don't know anymore. He should be trying to be up even with an injured leg.

I wonder if the other roo sensed something wasn't right with him and that's the reason for the serious beat down.

What about his droppings?
I have been checking him over every morning pretty throughly and nothing seems off, other than the one leg being slightly swollen. He was looking better this morning. He was sitting up taller and "talking " just a little bit. He drank a bunch of electrolyte water but only ate a little bit of his scrambled egg and even less feed. he did eat a few blueberries though. I took his whole cage outside in the shade this morning and all of the other chickens were all around him. which he seemed to enjoy. I did run some cool (not cold) water on his legs when I was giving him his butt bath. (thinking it might help with swelling). We tried to make him stand up in the grass, but he wouldn't. His legs aren't paralyzed but he doesn't try to bare weight at all.
His droppings are bright green today, which is a change. also, his face is very pale and even looking yellowish, which is worrisome. We are back inside now because it was heating up pretty good outside. I just don't know.... I have been reading and reading and haven't found anything close to his issues that it might be. I guess I will just keep supporting him as long as he is eating and drinking and maybe he will gain back his strength.

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Have you got a Petsmart nearby? They sell something by Exact that is a powder you mix to feed baby cage birds. It's in a white container. You can mix it as thick or thin as you want. He might dive into that. I always kept some on hand for any of mine that were off their feed.

There is also a water additive called Rooster Booster, at the feed store, that is loaded with vitamins and minerals.

I'm at a loss. He should be making more attempts at this point.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts