Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flock has dry pox and all seemed fine. (it's been 3 weeks since 1st signs). Some of them are free of spots now and combs are once again bright red. yesterday I noticed one of my dominecker roosters sitting out in the rain. I went to pick him up and he was limping. I checked for bumble foot, etc and there are no visible injuries. My dominant blue maran rooster has been being very aggressive towards my other 2 roosters so I think he beat him up. I did notice a sweet, but stinky smell on him though so I was thinking maybe canker...
I brought him in and he is eating/drinking, though not much. I put poultry cell vitamins in his water, and vetericyn on his pox spots. He is very weak and not seeming to get much better. Also, the smell has gone away. Suggestions? I am very new to keeping chickens and at a loss.

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
You're not doing bad for being new on looking at all the obvious things.

There is a possibility he got his butt handed to him by the other roo. Try dissolving a 325 mg aspirin in a gallon of water to see if he perks up. If he's in pain and lost a battle it might be the problem.

I would do a really good hands on exam of him though. Check everywhere for any open wounds. Under his wings, under his tail. Hidden areas. That sick sweet smell is disturbing because it implies rot. Gangrene type rot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not doing bad for being new on looking at all the obvious things.

There is a possibility he got his butt handed to him by the other roo. Try dissolving a 325 mg aspirin in a gallon of water to see if he perks up. If he's in pain and lost a battle it might be the problem.

I would do a really good hands on exam of him though. Check everywhere for any open wounds. Under his wings, under his tail. Hidden areas. That sick sweet smell is disturbing because it implies rot. Gangrene type rot.
Thank you. I think that you are right about him getting his butt handed to him. Poor fella.
I will try the aspirin trick! Thank you so much!
I have wanted chickens for 20 years but timing was always bad so I did a lot of reading about them for a looonnngggg time before finally getting them this past April. I thought that I was prepared, but man oh man, I learn more about them every day!
I did another once over on him and I still didn't find anything. And the smell is gone now too. Maybe it was from the hanging cabbage in the yard getting wet & dripping on him?🤷‍♀️.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Look chickens know how to hide things. Believe me I have seen my fair share of things most had to get put down with the crazy things. So my advice is go through his feathers for any wounds or bald spots could be a indicator of a wound. Check his cloaca for wounds under any feathers and if so clean them straight away. I lost my chicken to fly strike before and her wound was just above her cloaca. I tell you she smelled horrible would be a understatement. She had maggots in her wound. You see she ran away and then returned so I guess it wasn't my fault. But I'd hate that to happen to your roo. Does he have a name?

Reactions: Nixchicks

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Sorry, I laughed at the cabbage comment. Good thing I didn't have coffee in my mouth.

Trust me, each and everyone of us who have chickens for more than eggs or meat learn something new constantly with them.

I remember when @Chick named small fri had her issues. She disappeared for a while. I think she was mad at me. But she's learned a lot and has done very well. Another would be @Hania41806. Even though they're young they're good with their feathered ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look chickens know how to hide things. Believe me I have seen my fair share of things most had to get put down with the crazy things. So my advice is go through his feathers for any wounds or bald spots could be a indicator of a wound. Check his cloaca for wounds under any feathers and if so clean them straight away. I lost my chicken to fly strike before and her wound was just above her cloaca. I tell you she smelled horrible would be a understatement. She had maggots in her wound. You see she ran away and then returned so I guess it wasn't my fault. But I'd hate that to happen to your roo. Does he have a name?
I am sorry for your loss. Yes, his name is Dillon, formerly known as Daisy. I have checked him over twice and can find nothing. I am going to check him over again this morning. He doesn't smell anymore so I think the smell was something on his feathers. He is not improving though so I am really getting more worried. going to get some aspirin this morning before work as others have suggested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I laughed at the cabbage comment. Good thing I didn't have coffee in my mouth.

Trust me, each and everyone of us who have chickens for more than eggs or meat learn something new constantly with them.

I remember when @Chick named small fri had her issues. She disappeared for a while. I think she was mad at me. But she's learned a lot and has done very well. Another would be @Hania41806. Even though they're young they're good with their feathered ones.
I am glad that I could make you laugh. 😅. I appreciate all of the comments, for sure! My mind has been racing with all of the "what should I do's" and y'all have helped me be calmer and think. Thank you for a great forum!

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
You've done all you can do at this point until you have something else to give you a hint what is going on with him. Thinking and observing is important. Many times I stood back and just watched when one was off. Most times it was a temporary thing and they righted themselves.

Have you checked for mites? They can lay them low if they have a heavy load of them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've done all you can do at this point until you have something else to give you a hint what is going on with him. Thinking and observing is important. Many times I stood back and just watched when one was off. Most times it was a temporary thing and they righted themselves.

Have you checked for mites? They can lay them low if they have a heavy load of them.
Thank you. My husband just texted me at work and said that he was perking up a bit. I checked for mite's first thing. I probably drive my poor girls crazy checking them weekly for mites!😂. (I am in FL so it's hot and damp so mites are a big concern for me).

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Is Dillon a people bird normally? At least you can let Piper and Dillon hang out. No chance with my Goldendoodle, Maisey.

I'm in S. AL so I know what you're going through as far as the weather. It's tough trying to keep them comfortable this time of year.

His comb is nice and red. That's one of those things that begin to pale if something truly serious is going on. You might have to come up with a solution for the rooster issues. He got pounded this time. No big harm but it could escalate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is Dillon a people bird normally? At least you can let Piper and Dillon hang out. No chance with my Goldendoodle, Maisey.

I'm in S. AL so I know what you're going through as far as the weather. It's tough trying to keep them comfortable this time of year.

His comb is nice and red. That's one of those things that begin to pale if something truly serious is going on. You might have to come up with a solution for the rooster issues. He got pounded this time. No big harm but it could escalate.
He is a people rooster. I ended up with 2 dominecker roosters and both are the sweetest ever! They come running every time that I go outside. I was so sad when I realized that they were not hens. The big roo, Sapphire, a blue cuckoo maran is beautiful, but I am actively looking for a new home for him. It makes me sad because he was so tiny and sick with pasty butt when I got him and I nursed him back to health. But he is just so much bigger and so aggressive towards the other 2 roosters. My flock is not big enough for 3 roosters. It's really not even big enough for 2 ... yet.😜

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Well I live in southern Maryland, so I got to be careful with heat and humidity and my coop keeps flooding we need to add a drain.
Still dealing with those issues? I had some with my one pen flooding and would dig a trench. Then a lightbulb went off on how to deal with it. I lowered the ground in front of both pens with the tractor. No more flooding issues.

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
He is a people rooster. I ended up with 2 dominecker roosters and both are the sweetest ever! They come running every time that I go outside. I was so sad when I realized that they were not hens. The big roo, Sapphire, a blue cuckoo maran is beautiful, but I am actively looking for a new home for him. It makes me sad because he was so tiny and sick with pasty butt when I got him and I nursed him back to health. But he is just so much bigger and so aggressive towards the other 2 roosters. My flock is not big enough for 3 roosters. It's really not even big enough for 2 ... yet.😜
It's called chicken math. Somehow more and more birds keep appearing in the flock. So many said "this is it, no more" and then turned around and telling us about their new additions.

Can you pen the Cuckoo Maran up to keep him away from the other two?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Still dealing with those issues? I had some with my one pen flooding and would dig a trench. Then a lightbulb went off on how to deal with it. I lowered the ground in front of both pens with the tractor. No more flooding issues.
Well I do but in the huge storms we get everything floods into the trench. I can't remember why my dad put it on the slop side of the pen. But I think that's the problem, we are planning to build a barn for the goats and chickens and redoing the fence. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's called chicken math. Somehow more and more birds keep appearing in the flock. So many said "this is it, no more" and then turned around and telling us about their new additions.

Can you pen the Cuckoo Maran up to keep him away from the other two?
You are so right!!!😂. Chicken math is a real thing. When I went to get my chicks I told my husband that I was getting 6, Max! The next morning, somehow there were 16 in the brooder!🤷‍♀️😂
I am going to keep Sapphire in the run if he hasn't gone to a new home when I put Dillon back outside (providing he improves enough)
He is eating more but still will not stand up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts