Sick pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by mitzy123point, Feb 5, 2020.

1. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

She is currently on a diet I was giving my chickens too many snacks and food at all points of the day and as her being a top she stole everyone’s treats. Now they get limited treats their food measured out and their treats are spread out and hung so she has to work a bit more.
    She’s doing much better it seems! She is staying outside and feeding with the others still s little puffed up but sassy and won’t let me easily catch her now

Sylie likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

It's very possible she was having issues passing that egg. Being a new layer they don't always lay everyday. As the mature it becomes more of an everyday thing which makes it harder to know what might have been bothering her.

3. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Yeah! I hope she’s on the mend I’m glad she’s feisty again!

4. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Ok now I’m concerned! She’s acting fine and tbh I’m not even sure if this is from my birds or if they killed something but I they were all trying to eat this thing! It was about the size of half a dime.[​IMG] it was empty inside

5. robin416

I quite honestly have no idea what that is.

6. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I’ve never seen anything like it! I’m hoping they just killed a mouse and that was an organ? Or possibly a intestinal poop? I hope it’s not like the start of a lash egg I’ve never experienced that I’ve only had chicken for about 6 years

7. robin416

Lash eggs don't usually look all red like that. Cloacal cleansing is usually dark brown. You might be right that's what's left of something one of them got hold of.

mitzy123point likes this.
  8. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Oh good that makes me feel better! I hope it was just that! Their pen is next to bushes that mice and stuff are in all the time!

9. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I think it's mouse guts (not to be crude, sorry about that) but yeah, it kinda does look like that.

Maryellen and mitzy123point like this.
  10. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Wow that’s a relief I was worried you never expect to just see a tiny bloody ball in the coop especially when one of your chickens is acting off.

11. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Welp I will do a hopefully final update! She is acting 100 percent today and was eager to get their feed as normal. I refilled all the calcium bowls even though they were already pretty much full she is no longer crazy thirsty! Still not sure what was going on for sure. She is having normal stool and has been out roaming with her flock all day and hasn’t been in the coop since waking up! She is stronger again and fighting her way back up the pecking order.

Sylie and Maryellen like this.
  12. robin416

It was probably an egg issue. Or not. I've seen them act off for a day or two and then snap back with no outward signs of what had them feeling off.

mitzy123point likes this.
  13. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Yeah I’m not honestly sure her egg was covered in calcium! So she definitely wasn’t lacking it I guess I’ll never know. I’m just glad she’s doing good now