1. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Active Member

You may remember me posting about her before, last year I had to give her tums for being egg bound. Since then she’s just never really acted super healthy but she doesn’t act sick. She has always been on the slimer side of things but so is her mom. She walks with a slight waddle but I believe she did that before. She has a larger butt than most chickens and looks almost like she has vebt gleet which I am going to treat her for. She just doesnt act normal, she stays puffed up and drinks a LOT! Oh and she hasnt laid an egg to my knowledge since after she passed that one egg. I really like this girl and have been trying to figure out how to treat her but have run out of ideas. No worms, no cocidi, not egg bound, no respritory issues. She eats pretty much normal, maybe a little less often. But shes actually pretty high in the pecking order and the rooster loves her but never mates her. I just don’t know what else to do. My only avain vet is about 4 hours away and is booked up until almost next year [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Because of her laying issues in the past it really does point to internal laying. They can get an infection from the egg material trapped in the body.

There is very little you can do for her if that's what's going on. You can toss a full spectrum antibiotic at her but the problem will persist. I only know of two options, spaying and removing the egg material. And there's a hormone injection that will prevent ovulation. I don't know if the injection will work if she has a ton of egg material trapped in her body.

mitzy123point and Poultry Judge like this.

3. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Active Member

Darn that’s what I was worried about it’s been about a year since this started but if I notice her start to act in pain I will put her down I keep hoping she will perk up but I doubt any vet around here would help at all

4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I really hate it when this happens to them. I feel helpless because there isn't a lot that can be done to help them.

5. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I am so sorry, it does make you feel helpless.