Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm not sure what's going on with one of my chickens, but she doesn't seem to want to come out of the nesting box.
I don't know if she's eating or not, she's still laying eggs though. Something just doesn't seem right, she's usually much more active than she is right now. She's a buff Orpington about 9-10 months, has been very healthy and producing eggs. This has just started yesterday. I pick her up and put her in the yard with the other three, she will peck around for a few minutes and go right back to the box. Is this normal or is there something I should be concerned with?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I see, so it's nothing detrimental, just need to move her to get to the eggs and make sure she's getting enough food and water?

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Is that bad?
Ok I see, so it's nothing detrimental, just need to move her to get to the eggs and make sure she's getting enough food and water?
Sorry, I was on my phone.
Broody is a good thing if you want your hen to hatch chicks. Sometimes they will lay a bunch of eggs in a nest and let them add up before she starts sitting on them. When she starts sitting on them she will stop laying and stay on the nest. If you have a rooster they will be fertile and she will hatch them.

If you don't want her to sit on eggs, then broody is a bad thing. They stop laying when they are broody. Some folks would kill for a broody hen and some folks have too many. :)

Yes, get the eggs from under her as soon as you can after they are laid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts