Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We intro'd a 4 mo old with existing 6 mo olds. She got picked on constantly. She is in her own coop now but when she's out she looses her balance falls and is laying soft shelled eggs. Will this stop soon....how can I help her?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Could be she suffered some head trauma or could be ear issues causing her to lose her balance. Give her a good exam and likely you'll find some reasons for your symptoms. Is there a gentle chicken that would be her friend. A chicken alone is not a good thing.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I'd hold the bullies and hang them upside down a few times. Like hold them upside down for maybe a minute. Whenever my Silkie Roo bites me, I do that and he's good for about a week. I've been holding the new Roos as well - not upside down. And they're much better in just a week. I hold them every day, while I clean their cages.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Also if she was being picked on, she might not have gotten enough to eat or drink which can cause her to be weak and stumbling. Give her additional vitamins and extra protein. You can get vitamins & electrolytes at most feed stores or you can also give the Poly-Vi-Sol without the iron. Good sources of extra protein are scrambled or boiled eggs and mealworms.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
swcakes said:
You can feed them eggs isn't that kind of Like cannibalism
Lol, I kinda wonder the same. But, after advise on this or another forum, I now even give them leftover chicken, especially wings that have meat left in those hard to get places. The chickens just eat it up, as strange as it sounds at first.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
How about turkey then. They do love the extra meat, and it ensures all the animal is used that was killed. Trust me, they clean those bones sooooo good. I think of it as a way to finally "compost" our meat product leftovers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just noticed my larger chicken is loosing weight and is lethargic and won't eat much her comb is darker in color than normal anyone have any ideas what might be wrong

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe u gave her a bad treat...I would google bad foods for chickens and see if I feed her something bad..give her some electrodes and protein

1 - 15 of 15 Posts