Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of building a new, bigger coop in the spring and I want all the ideas I can get! I want this to be my last coop built for a long long time! Thanks folks!! I am planning on the deep litter method.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My coop is a little small and I'm hoping to expand but here you go. It's pretty much just a box with a roost and nesting boxes with a run connected to it. We used fencing boards for the walls to give it A nice look.

Plant Wood Tree Beam Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
8x10 cattle panel hoop coop. Took $205 in materials, a hammer, drill and a sawsall and one woman ten days to build. Sturdy in all weathers, provides excellent ventilation and has expansion capabilities by adding further hoops.

The design makes it incredibly easy to add roosts, nest boxes or other features with just a few adjustments. Roosts are zip tied in, so are easily dismantled and moved to a different place. Many, many places to hang something on the cattle panel grids, so hanging feeders, waterers, etc. is a breeze. This coop can be moved, transported, or easily deconstructed and the materials re-used in the garden, as fencing, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
L0rZ said:
Do you have the plans for this coop? It's really well done!
Unfortunately I do not. I just had a vision in my head and built it as I went along. I started off thinking I would build what I have seen called the Wichita Coop but modified the heck out of it to make it very secure and easy to clean. Apologies for no plan.

·
Registered
132 Posts
jmc0319 said:
Unfortunately I do not. I just had a vision in my head and built it as I went along. I started off thinking I would build what I have seen called the Wichita Coop but modified the heck out of it to make it very secure and easy to clean. Apologies for no plan.
Here are a couple of more pictures that might help.

Plant Window Sky Building Wood

Plant Wood Tree Wood stain Grass

Plant Wood Pet supply Tree Sky

Attachments

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Nice coops everyone!

Mine has been an ongoing process for 2 years. Started with 1 8'X16' coop and run. How could I need more than that, right? Then 6 months later, I added 3 more. The runs weren't covered at first. Then I added a nipple water system, put a roof on it all and added a grow out pen. It has evolved into 4 breeding pens, a hen pen and a brooder stall so far.
Now I'm adding on a new coop/Feed room/work area. I'm running out of room fast!

Good luck with your coop.

Whatever you build, build it bigger than you think you will need it. You know how chicken math is. :)
One tip I could give is make sure the roof has a lot of overhang. Keeping the bedding dry is important. Dripping water splashes in the coop.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
jmc0319 said:
Here are a couple of more pictures that might help.
Thanks for the extra pics! Do you have a floor to the coop portion or do you leave it open for easy cleaning?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! They are all nice! Jmc.. That's exactly what I want! How many birds fit in there and what's the sq footage?

·
Registered
132 Posts
jennifer said:
Wow! They are all nice! Jmc.. That's exactly what I want! How many birds fit in there and what's the sq footage?
Jennifer - I have six birds but calculated that I could probably fit 10-12

·
Registered
132 Posts
L0rZ said:
Thanks for the extra pics! Do you have a floor to the coop portion or do you leave it open for easy cleaning?
Yes there is a linoleum floor on top on treated plywood. The linoleum protects the wood and the birds from the treated wood. In addition to the outside door the inside wall of the coop where the ramp is swings out so I. Can very easily clean it.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
That's a pretty small coop space for 6 birds, so I can't imagine fitting 12 birds in that tiny space. What's the total sq. ft of that coop structure(not talking about the attached run, just the built in coop house)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bee said:
That's a pretty small coop space for 6 birds, so I can't imagine fitting 12 birds in that tiny space. What's the total sq. ft of that coop structure(not talking about the attached run, just the built in coop house)?
The coop itself is 50 sq ft. That's around 8 sq ft per bird. The run itself is also around 50 sq ft. Plenty of room. They are very happy when they are not free ranging all day

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Huh! It just doesn't look that big in the pics! So it's 5 ft. wide by 10 ft long inside that coop? Optical illusion, then, because it looks about 2 1/2-3 ft. wide and maybe 8 ft. long from the angle of that pic.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bee said:
Huh! It just doesn't look that big in the pics! So it's 5 ft. wide by 10 ft long inside that coop? Optical illusion, then, because it looks about 2 1/2-3 ft. wide and maybe 8 ft. long from the angle of that pic.
Yes that's right. What is your opinion on how much space you should have per hen?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts