Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding ff to my chickens for about three days. They love it very very much. I have 80 chickens from age 3 weeks to 8 months. I fill one of those Christmas popcorn tins about a little over half full with cracked corn and layer pellets then fill the tin with warm water. It expands and fills to almost overflowing. I give them the entire tin of ff the next day in the morning. I used to fill the tin in dry food and give it all to them and they never ate it all. Now with the ff they eat the entire thing in about 15 minutes. Do you think I should give them more? I never saw them so excited about food before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So you're adding warm water to dry food and then feeding it to your chickens the next day? This doesn't sound like fermented feed to me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi there,

That's not fermented food, that's just wet food :/ the fermenting process takes more than a few days to begin. Bacteria cultures need to develop in the food and it definitely doesn't happen overnight.

With that said, fermenting the feed makes the protein and nutrients more readily available for the birds so essentially you should be able to feed less. That's how it works to cut back your feed bills. Definitely shouldn't be going through food at double the rate of when it was fed dry. Perhaps someone with more experience will weigh in a bit more as I myself am still struggling with working out my feed amounts in my own flock.

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
It sounds to me like you are feeding them just the right amount. When you add water to the feed it swells to twice the original volume. They are filling their crops but it is taking less feed to do it. Fermenting increases the protein so they are getting the same amount of protein with 1/2 the amount of feed. They will always act like they are starving. Don't fall for their chicken lies.

You really do need to let it sit a couple of days to ferment. Just letting it swell up from being wet makes it easier for them to digest but fermenting is what increases the protein level. Add a glug of ACV with "mother" to jump start the mix if you have it. Try making a larger batch so you don't use it all at once and add a little feed back every other day or so. I try to add back each day, what they have eaten that day. That way I can see how much dry feed they are consuming.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the replies. Maybe that's why I had no problem with the smell since it wasn't sitting long enough lol. I got a five gallon bucket today so I will make one batch in it and let it sit for a few days. It is almost double the size of the other tin that way I can keep some in the bottom. I guess Tuesday would be long enough?

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Yep, it definitely goes from sweet smelling to sour when it ferments. In the summer, mine started fermenting in about 24 hrs but with the cooler weather, it takes a couple of days. I have had the same batch going for 3 months. I add the feed in the afternoon after feeding so it has time to sit overnight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts