Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few of these shell-less eggs, the new girls had a couple just as they were starting to lay, but last night 3 of my 5 girls layed these shell-less eggs, What is that all about??

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
It's likely not enough calcium. Something in the diet. All your other components are in place. If they are getting calcium, then something else may be chelating it/interfering with its absorption or utilization. It's very likely diet related. Protein seems fine. Look at the minerals. Maybe just get a new bag of laying ration. Sometimes the feed mill screwed up the mixture.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Eneryvet, I'll have a look at their diet. I can't remember where I bought the last bag of feed but I'll maybe try a different source from my usual haunts. They did spend yesterday afternoon kicking their fluffy heals up rempaging through the garden, I like to give them a bit extra freedome every now and then. Maybe they filled up on junk food!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Free ranging is good as long as they're safe. May get done calcium there if its available. Animals will seek out calcium when they are deficient. One if the few things are bodies know we need. Every crave cheese or milk? Oyster shell is what most people supplement with. Also crushed up egg shells, but oops you don't have those.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, yes a bit short on the egg shells! Would water stop them absorbing essential vitamins? They are constantly kicking mud in their water and if I'm not about to replace it they can go a few hour with just muddy water to drink. I'll have to come up with a better watering system, .

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Minerals in the water could competitively inhibit calcium absorption. Look into the new watering system too.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Do you have well water? If so, is there a lot of sulfur in your water? I've heard that sulfur can inhibit calcium absorption.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if there is any sulphur (sorry we spell things differently over here sometimes). The watering system is not unlike the thing you have in your avatar there TinyHouse but as I say they jusy keep kicking mud into it so goodness knows whats in it! I'd be greatful of any suggestions of tried and tested systems?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Don't know if you can run the water through a filtering system. Most filters will take out heavy metals. Worth a try. Otherwise all your eggs might be wasted.

·
Banned
241 Posts
I don't know Energyvet - I have a friend in IN who has sulfur in her well water and it just about makes me gag to try to wash dishes and/or take a shower. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
I disagree with Energyvet. My experience has always been that you get a few shell-less eggs when hens are "breaking in" their egg laying equipment. Having said that, for the best results, you need to make sure your hens are getting plenty of calories and good nutrition through foraging and a commercial laying ration. It takes a lot of energy to lay an egg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got 3 chickens laying perfect eggs and one that had started laying either shell less eggs or todays had a very thin shell that fell apart as I tried to pick it up. They are all free range in an orchard area and get layers mash plus a few extras and rummage around on the compost heap.I have run out of grit and oyster shell that I give them separately but the mash is supposed to contain it anyway.could one chicken need the extra calcium for some reason? Seems odd......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't need to replace the grit. They'll get all they need if they free range. Oyster shell is always good to have though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've found 4 shell less eggs. I just assumed it was a newbie breaking in her equipment. Now, I've found cracked shells, that's when I throw em more calcium.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts