Sexing baby chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by 2QBs, Jan 29, 2013.

1. 2QBs

2QBs New Member

Hi guys. We are new here. I'm sure this question's been asked a bunch, but any tips on sexing baby chicks? We have just started incubating our eggs and it would be a big help to be able to tell our gals from the guys.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Some you can tell by color, some you can look at feathering on the wings the first 1-3 days. Some you can feel the skull for a depression or a ridge bump. What breed cause a lot depends on the breed.

3. realsis

realsis New Member

Hi and welcome! I'm new at this also. But I know that for sex linked chicks it's color and some it's the wing, as said earlier. It all depends on there breed. So breed is important with there sexing. I have two female baby silkie chicks I got DNA tested and one straight run. The DNA tests can be done with a feather for as little as 12.00 and free kit. I was looking into this one lab that had a turn around of two days pretty fast! So you can do something like that if you want to know sex. I know silkies are very hard to sex. So it's up to you but if you look online you can find places that are really cheap.

4. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

image-1170457440.jpg

Look at there wings and it well tell you if you have a pullet or cockerel :)

5. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

that is so fascinating! wish I had known when I got mine. (now they are two and a half months)

6. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

I've been doing this sense I was 6! And it's pretty cool what you can find out about them!!

7. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Does this work on just certain breeds? I always end up with more cockerels than pullets:mad: even when I hatch my own. Incubator malfunction sent temps soaring one time and lost all but one that I was able to save. He's very healthy and handsome:rolleyes:

8. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

It really does work, many hatcheries try this technique on almost all chicken breeds! But if you wait to long you won't be able to tell :)

9. 2QBs

2QBs New Member

Wow! Great tip! We will give the feather thing a try.

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Theres an app called Picken Chicken. It's great for details like what breeds can be wing feather sexed. Might be worth a look.

11. LeslieB

LeslieB New Member

Identifying Pullets and Cockerels

12. Jim

Jim New Member

Is this an apple app? I can't seem to find it.

13. jasmin

jasmin New Member

Pickin Chicken - spelled slightly differently. It's $2.99 to buy. :)

14. Jim

Jim New Member

Thanks, I found it. It is an iPhone app, I was looking under iPad apps. :)

15. Vanessasilkies

Vanessasilkies New Member

I thought Picken chicken was a game lol

16. LeslieB

LeslieB New Member

Picken Chicken App

Thanks for the info. You need to have an Ipad, pod or phone for this app. so I will get my son to download it for me on his Ipad. Looks neat, and something kids will like...

Thanks again,

Leslie
    :)

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

It's a lot of fun when you're just starting out.

18. CarlaJoRyan

CarlaJoRyan New Member

Picken Chicken

I cannot find the app for this :(

19. gotchicks

gotchicks New Member

It's spelled Pickin Chicken. Wonder why they dont have Golden Comets. Are there another names for them?

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Try red sex linked.....