Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
They all like like pullets to me and those with the topknots look like legbar or legbar mixes. When they start laying, look for blue eggs!

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
I also have to ask, does you username mean you have a donkey and a pig too?

Notice I'm not getting into this sexing thing? 😋 I'm not great with pure breeds as it is.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh, no! I was so excited!! They’re around 3 months old. When will I be able to tell for sure?
I can tell for sure right now. ;)
The cockerels will probably begin crowing within a few weeks.
The pullets will take a bit longer to begin laying.

1- Notice the splotchy coloring with particular leakage on the hackles, saddles, and wings; then notice the width of the white bars, he appears double barred- something that is not possible in females as they only have one Z chromosome; next notice the extremely thin feathers on his hackles, and poking out right above the base of the tail, those are male specific; finally, notice the large red comb.

2- Notice the smooth uniform pattern; the lack of any odd feathers- smooth and round all the way around, smooth and round; finally notice the small pale comb.

3- notice the blotchiness? No uniformity anywhere, particularly the red on the wings, that indicates male; next, you can see the thin golden male saddles beginning to emerge; finally, large red comb.

4- Uniform coloring, round feathers, small pale comb.

5- Notice the splotchy coloring with particular leakage on the hackles, saddles, and wings; next notice the extremely thin feathers on his hackles, and poking out right above the base of the tail, those are male specific; finally, notice the large red comb.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts

1- Notice the splotchy coloring with particular leakage on the hackles, saddles, and wings; then notice the width of the white bars, he appears double barred- something that is not possible in females as they only have one Z chromosome; next notice the extremely thin feathers on his hackles, and poking out right above the base of the tail, those are male specific; finally, notice the large red comb.

2- Notice the smooth uniform pattern; the lack of any odd feathers- smooth and round all the way around, smooth and round; finally notice the small pale comb.

3- notice the blotchiness? No uniformity anywhere, particularly the red on the wings, that indicates male; next, you can see the thin golden male saddles beginning to emerge; finally, large red comb.

5- Notice the splotchy coloring with particular leakage on the hackles, saddles, and wings; next notice the extremely thin feathers on his hackles, and poking out right above the base of the tail, those are male specific; finally, notice the large red comb.
I like when people are this specific on what they see. It helps teach what to look for later on.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,784 Posts

Go CB! I didn’t notice any of that, too early for my limited experience, unless I could see them move. Ya know? They walk and act different usually. Anyway. Nice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts