Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should I keep newcomers separated from the original flock? They are in the same run but separated by a wire gate. They spend all day looking at each other. The ducks and chicks are in separate crates in the coop at night and the original flock (only 2 hens) have their normal roost. When can iput them all together and get rid of the crates?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Do you let them free range in the yard a bit together? I only separated any of mine for a few days. My ducks had absolutely no problem blending in. Chickens would run away from them. It was so funny being these babies were only a few weeks old and 1/2 their size. By day 3 of being in the yard with them for a bit, they all were together. My chickens too I only separate for a few days at most before having them run around the yard together before I try them in the coop at night. They'll let you know when they're ready. My banty was ready the next day. Just have to watch them and take their ques.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Depends how your hens react. Try putting them in the run together. If your hens are ok with it, fine let them be together. If your hens draw blood keep them seperated. With only having 2 hens you shouldnt have an issues. It becomes an issues when you have a larger flock that is used to its pecking order and you try to add another flock of chicks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts