Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some roosters that I am planing on sending to heaven.. americana and roadisland reds.. any suggestions on the most human way to do this and when I ll know they have reached their growing peak.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I use a sharp hatched to cut the head off on a stump. Some people swear by using a cone and cutting the jugular but I dont like it. The meat taste no different no matter which way you do it. As for age, it depends on the breed. I wait till my roosters are about 4 pounds. which ends up being any where between 18 - 24 weeks old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Apyl said:
I use a sharp hatched to cut the head off on a stump. Some people swear by using a cone and cutting the jugular but I dont like it. The meat taste no different no matter which way you do it. As for age, it depends on the breed. I wait till my roosters are about 4 pounds. which ends up being any where between 18 - 24 weeks old.
That's what worked for me too. I chopped the head clean off so I knew for sure there was no suffering. Look at YouTube.com videos, it made my culling experience very smooth. Slow cook him for a good 6-8 hours are you're in for a treat!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Make sure that you bind the legs together so that you don't find out just what the phrase "running around like a chicken with its head cut off" means.

·
Registered
100 Posts
kjohnstone said:
Make sure that you bind the legs together so that you don't find out just what the phrase "running around like a chicken with its head cut off" means.
Thats true! This worked for me: I swaddled my rooster up like a baby in a super large trash can liner & he actually laid still since he couldn't really move. (He was actually a very sweet young rooster @ 18 weeks, and never really had a chance to become the "dominant male") so swaddling him up was easy. Not sure if that can work for everyone.

Once the head was off I was able to snatch up the body and let the blood drain into a lined bucket. OR if you have someone to help you just have them hold the body.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I put two nail in a stump, slip the head between the nails and cut the head off. I just hold the legs then toss the carcass in a 5 gallon bucket to drain a couple minutes.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I use a cone fashioned from a bleach jug and truss the feet, one quick cut and let them bleed out. No flopping about or making a mess on the feathers. You can cut the arteries or just cut off the head in this manner as your hands are free to do whatever you need to do.

I usually process a regular DP rooster at around 5 mo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts