Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....glad to be part of this. My wife and I are planning on raising chickens here in Spencerport, NY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome!!
Not sure what type of chickens to start with for eggs....any ideas which ones would be a good choice? Only looking to get 6 to start with in Western NY.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Lots of good easy starter choice that handle cold and warm climates well and are super friendly. Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Ameraucana, Australorp, White Leghorn, Easter Eggers, to name a few good breeds.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!!
Not sure what type of chickens to start with for eggs....any ideas which ones would be a good choice? Only looking to get 6 to start with in Western NY.
Ok, you can plan on getting 6, but chicken math works like this.

These 6 + these 2 that we saw that were just toooo cute to pass up, and then 2 of those others were roosters, so 4 of those eggs hatched and they are so cute that we had to keep those, and OMG where did THOSE chicks come from, and have you seen a Polish chicken, we've got to get a couple of those...

so before you know it, your little hobby has turned into a feathered crack addiction, and instead of Schmidtfarm, you are up schmidtcreek!! We've all been there!! :D

·
chicken bum
136 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
Ok, you can plan on getting 6, but chicken math works like this.

These 6 + these 2 that we saw that were just toooo cute to pass up, and then 2 of those others were roosters, so 4 of those eggs hatched and they are so cute that we had to keep those, and OMG where did THOSE chicks come from, and have you seen a Polish chicken, we've got to get a couple of those...

so before you know it, your little hobby has turned into a feathered crack addiction, and instead of Schmidtfarm, you are up schmidtcreek!! We've all been there!! :D
I know right!..just tonight i was going ..holy crap how did we get 30 chickens!!!,we got four two year old hens a month ago and now its chick time...i guess I'm addicted...guess i have starter chicks for our kids or ill have pullets for sale lol..i swear i asked my wife to keep me under control...lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts