Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in the Northeast had any experience using sand in their coop instead of hay or wood shavings? It makes sense from a maintenance stand point but I'm curious about how it does during the winter. Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would think that if water got mixed in the sand during winter and froze over....well you get the jist, but other then that I think it's a great idea

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about that. Maybe sand in the warmer months but switch to hay or wood shavings once the frost settles in........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pine shavings would be best, because the hay could gather fungi and bacteria eventually causing sickness, but other then that I think it's a Great idea

·
Registered
764 Posts
We are in Massachusetts and plan on using sand during the spring summer months then switch to deep litter method for fall and winter.

I am using sand in the brooder and I can say the difference in how dirty my babes with feathered feet is incredible. The brahmas were caked in poop even after only a day with shavings. Now They are clean!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Sand is excellent. Nothing better. It is absorbent and will hold water but will not allow freezing. Easy to clean too. I use a little hay on tip of the sand then compost when done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What do you do with it after the fact? I was planning on composting the shavings after cleaning the coop, but couldn't do that with sand. I have to say other wise, i am thinking if going with the sand.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
What do you do with it after the fact? I was planning on composting the shavings after cleaning the coop, but couldn't do that with sand. I have to say other wise, i am thinking if going with the sand.
You sift the sand and compost the poop .

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Thanks! I'm sold on the sand. One last question. Do you use the same kind used for a sandbox?
I've purchased sand in 20 pound bags from a local lumber / home improvement place for $1.50 a bag. It was just non colored sand box sand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So like just pour it on the ground? Do you guys have edges to keep the sand in the run? Or is this just in the coop under their roosts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Should you only use sand if your floor is dirt or does it work with a linoleum floor too? If it doesn't absorb the liquid, does it just evaporate?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts