Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three baby chicks (about 1month old) and one (Nugget) is significantly smaller than the other two.
I have read some other threads on this topic however my little Nuggett was the first to get it’s feathers and doesn’t seem to be delayed in any way.
I am sincerely hoping that he/she is just small and doesn’t have any health issues. Is that a possibility?

·
Registered
733 Posts
There are always the surprising outcomes where they’ll either catch up later or have minor health issues; or the ones that stay small and do just fine.

Is there any chance she could be another type or mixed type? It could explain the earlier feathering yet smaller size too.

Edit to add: I believe some roosters also are a little slower to develop in some breeds but I might be misremembering. That happens occasionally too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are always the surprising outcomes where they’ll either catch up later or have minor health issues; or the ones that stay small and do just fine.

Is there any chance she could be another type or mixed type? It could explain the earlier feathering yet smaller size too.

Edit to add: I believe some roosters also are a little slower to develop in some breeds but I might be misremembering. That happens occasionally too.
Thank you. I guess it is possible (I bought them from a local farm) and was told they are bantam Cochins ❤ I sure hope Nuggett lives a long and happy life.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
I'd need to see a better pic, side shot of them. It might not be a cochin or the others you have are large fowl.

I wouldn't worry about it though. It's growing feathers, a little bigger than it's little body maybe, but if it's doing all the other normal chick stuff it's probably fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts