Chicken Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens often drink a whole watered full gallon chicken trough each day. Is there a larger one that would be suggested?

·
Registered
113 Posts
TSC has 3 gallon waterers and 7 gallon waters. How many chickens do you have? You could get more than 1 waterer, that way if 1 gets spilled, there is always a back up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We made a waterer using poultry nipples and a five gallon bucket I got for free from a local restaurant. It came with a lid and we added some PVC and a cap for easy filling. The water stays perfectly clean and I fill it maybe twice a week tops. I couldn't keep the water clean with a traditional waterer and was changing it throughout the day. I love the new system and it was super easy. We have six girls and used three poultry nipples.

·
rich386
83 Posts
My chickens often drink a whole watered full gallon chicken trough each day. Is there a larger one that would be suggested?
Here is an idea that solves your problem forever!!!
Contact me if you need more info. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I agree on poultry nipples if you can get your flock to adapt to them...they are a dream and can be attached to any type or size of container you wish and solves the problem of dirty water or not having enough.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you don't want to use the nipples( which I think I'm going to get!) but a 5 gal bucket with a lid. Drill holes around it above the lid. At TSc they have a large metal tin that you can flip the 5 gal bucket over into once it is full. It's makes a good automatic waterer. Cost is 7 dollars.

·
Banned
825 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bird Waterer

I invented The Thirsty Bird because I got tired of filling and cleaning my birds old style water dispensers two to three times a day. I have not cleaned or filled a water dispenser in almost two years and I do not miss that chore at all.We can leave for a week end and not worry that the girls will run out of water.Take a look at thethirstybird.com and see if this idea will work for you. :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I just finished putting in a 2 gal bucket with nipples and a top with pvc 1/2" with valve to fill it works great I even added a dowel with float so I know when to fill

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only water issue I'm having is green algae. I bleach out the five gallon bucket and add ACV when I put in fresh water. Just a side effect of the heat?

·
Registered
159 Posts
rena88651 said:
The only water issue I'm having is green algae. I bleach out the five gallon bucket and add ACV when I put in fresh water. Just a side effect of the heat?
Is the water in direct sunlight? If it is, that will cause algae to grow

·
rich386
83 Posts
Little more than hook up your garden hose and it never runs out. Auto fill gravity fed comes compleat. 3gal. Pail with cover and hose adapter. 18" pipe with 3 horizontal nipples and mounting clips. 10' of 1/2" tubing. Each 18" pipe you add will serve 18 to 24 birds. Need more information email [email protected]

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts