Ducks Runner ducks

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by jmc0319, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jmc0319

jmc0319 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with runner ducks? I am thinking of getting some. Thanks.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I think it's oak wood or red maples who has ducks.

3. Matunda

Matunda New Member

I have had some in the past. They seamed rather similar to most ducks, maybe a tad more skittish. They are not my favorite kind because I don't care for the upright look. .

4. jmc0319

jmc0319 New Member

Thanks. Any issues other than posture?

5. Matunda

Matunda New Member

Ours never had any. They with a flock of geese and lots other ducks, mostly pekings. We raised the pekings to sell for meat, the geese and other ducks were more of pets. They were free range and had a brook to swim in. The runners formed their mini flock and preferred each other company over the other ducks. But they all got along.

6. jmc0319

jmc0319 New Member

Thank you very much.

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I know I am late to this thread, but wanted to add my two cents. I have six runners and I adore them. I have a few friends that also have runners and one friend in particular is not happy with the skittishness of hers. Mine are friendly. I believe that's because they were brooded and live with my pair of geese that are extremely friendly. The ducks take their cues from the geese. Of the six I have only one will not eat out of my hand. My drake Spot is the most friendly. None of them like to be picked up, but then again neither do my call ducks.

8. patlet

patlet New Member

We've raised Muscovies and Rouens. They were very tough. Friendly enough but none of them cared to be handled. Not that they were aggressive or anything, they simply were uncomfortable when you did have to handle them. My geese on the other hand don't mind and even seem to enjoy physical interaction. Both geese and ducks will follow us, eat from our hands, etc. I wonder if it is a species thang.

9. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I don't know. The runners are very active creatures, always on the move. Just like chickens, the quickest way to a ducks heart is through the stomach. I feed quite a few treats, with peas, grapes and especially minnows being big favorites.
    My call ducks get just as many treats, but aren't nearly as likely to come running up to me to see what I might have to eat.
    My gander on the other hand, he's in my lap whenever he gets the chance.

10. oakwood

oakwood New Member

A few of my Runner Ducks .

2228659140107254682S600x600Q85.jpg

2560494580107254682S600x600Q85.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg