Runaways

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by amandahalterman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

Just got 4 new hens 3 wks ago, I was wondering how long I should wait before I let them out to free range in our yard with my other chickens, they are still Alittle skiddish because my other hens still occasionally pick at them, we live in the country and are surrounded by cornfields, I am afraid to let them out and them take off in te fields and not come back, my kids would be heartbroken, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I let mine out when I thought they were big enough to take care of themselves. At first they don't venture to far, then when they get a little braver they spead out and go farther. They always find their way back....so far.

3. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

I suggest putting them in a pen out where your other hens usually stay around. That way they'll be able to introduce themselves without the other hens being able to chase or attack them.

4. amandahalterman

They are in with the other chickens, but when I leave them out to roam, when should I leave them out of the big fence?

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I've introduced older pullets and they never venture far from the rest of the flock. Even if they're being picked on, they still want to be with the rest of the crew. They'll be okay.

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pick a time when you'll be home to watch or supervise. That's what I would suggest. If you watch and monitor, you may know the outcome before it happens.

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I agree. And use a long handled fishing net to use for chicken rodeo, in case you have a runner!!

8. amandahalterman

Thats funny...My kids will be chasing them, lol:p

9. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Ha ha! Chasing chickens is definitely one of my least favorite things to do! :) I can see why you'd have your kids do it.

10. amandahalterman

When we first got the chickens, the first day my sons flew the coop and took off into the fields and woods, I thought we would never catch her, she our fastest sprinter, lol after almost 3 hours of chasing her we finally got her with a net, all I have to say about that was as soon as we got her, her wings were clipped.

11. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

Ha ha! Yeah, fence jumpers should definitely have their wings clipped. :)

12. amandahalterman

She's ok now, we don't mind if she gets out, I let her free range during the day now, but I almost had a heart attack when she escaped the first day, lol

13. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Only clip one wing... Just enough to make em wobble a bit, they still use them for propulsion, if needed for the "get away jump" from a predator... Or get up on roosts if needed.