Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
Yeah, 68 kind of qualifies. Although these days it's more about doing things slower than ten years before. And for me, I find work arounds since I have a few years on you. Well, 2. :rolleyes:

Did you build the walls on the ground and then stand them up? I keep looking at it and seeing how hard it would be to keep a 2X4 upright while screwing it down.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, 68 kind of qualifies. Although these days it's more about doing things slower than ten years before. And for me, I find work arounds since I have a few years on you. Well, 2. :rolleyes:

Did you build the walls on the ground and then stand them up? I keep looking at it and seeing how hard it would be to keep a 2X4 upright while screwing it down.
Yeah, I like to think that 15 years ago I'd've had that done in one day. I'm way slower than I used to be for lots of reasons. These days I think of myself as the tortoise in The Tortoise and the Hare.
Walls weren't built on the ground. If I'd've had some help, I might've gone that route I drilled 3, equidistant holes on the 4x4s on the ground, laid them out, and then drove 16" spikes through them to anchor them. The upright 4x4s were anchored to them with brackets while also trying to keep them square with 2x4s as a brace which were then removed. Once the joists are laid across the top and more upper permanent braces are attached it will be more stable and a little more square and vertical. Hard to tell from the pics I posted, but the 16' section is a little wonky right now. Pretty sure the chickens won't care if it's not "cabinet grade."

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice and professional. I wish I had your carpentry skills. Do you plan to lay down an apron all the way around the base of the pens?
No apron planned at this time, but I can understand why lots of folks have them. The original run and coop have been there for 4 1/2 years with no apron and I have had no problems with diggers in that time. Should an apron become needed in the future I'll have plenty of left over 1x1 welded wire I can use. If that becomes the case, I'll just use landscape staples to anchor it. Our rock hard red clay is not too conducive to diggers-----including me.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Our soil is wet and moist most of the time. Landscape staples didnt work with the field fence apron that I like to use. I ended up using pavers to hold the fence down and it worked great. I removed the pavers after the grass grew through the fence.
We have all the diggers here. So far so good, no losses.

The only predator that has really given me trouble are rats and mice. It was a 3 week battle of the ages last year (it rained every day...deluges, record rainfall) but I finally beat them back. I'm still proactive in eliminating them. This year has been a good year, only 2 or 3 kills and we had more deluges...two days partly sunny, 5 days straight rain during the summer.

The only thing that probably couldve stopped them wouldve been hardware cloth enclosed pens and aprons. However, we know that would be too cost prohibitive. Ammonia and rat poisons are cheaper.

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
OK, I'm truly impressed. When I built the same thing 15 years ago I had to build the walls on the ground and stand them up.

15 years ago you would have done that on the weekend because you'd still be working. But then there would be other things that would have needed dealing with since you worked all week. So, it probably would have been two days then too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts