Roosting boxes

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by bouie55, Sep 23, 2012.

1. bouie55

bouie55 New Member

Why are my chickens not laying eggs in the roosting boxes?

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Do you mean Nesting boxes? Nesting boxes are for laying eggs in, They should roost on a wooden pole, 2x2, or an actual tree limb. Two totally seperate locations, unless you want poop on your eggs all the time..

3. bouie55

bouie55 New Member

Yes I mean nesting boxes! We do have roosts for them! They are laying them on the floor. It was the first eggs we got

4. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Try putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes so they know that's where they are suppose to lay. They should get the hint.

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Golf balls even work in a pinch..

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree with the wooden eggs or the golf balls in each nest. Works like a charm ...

7. piglett

piglett Senior Member

mine layed rite under the nest box or out in the run for the 1st couple of weeks
    then they figured it out & now a month later they are always in the box where they belong

8. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Most of my girls lay in the box but occasionally I'll still find one on the floor or in the run. I'm ok with it. It's like Easter, I gotta find all the eggs and don't know where they'll be ;-)

9. bouie55

bouie55 New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions I will try putting golf balls in the boxes!!

10. carolyn28

carolyn28 New Member

Make sure the next boxes are a bit private with some fluffy hay. Many production birds though, haven't a bit of maternal instincts and don't care where they plop their eggs so putting a few eggs into a nest box will often jog any shred of mothering and they will pick it the idea.

11. Willy

Willy Junior Member

Ours were doing good in the nesting boxes until I put a couple extra flakes of wheat straw on a low shelf in the chicken coop to keep it dry. Now some of them lay there instead.

I still don't know where the Americana's are laying. We got a couple eggs out of them when I had them in the pen with the bantys, but since I turned them out with the yard chickens, we got one egg a couple of weeks ago and that's it.

12. piglett

piglett Senior Member

maybe you can pen them back up & train them to lay just in the nest boxes. if not i would have to put em in the pot. around here everything has to pull it's own weight or it goes away, but that's just me ;)

good luck
    piglett

13. chickflick

chickflick New Member

You need to keep the hens in the run/coop for a few days so they know where they are suppose to lay their eggs. Put some fake eggs in the nests and keep them in the run and make sure there is no where they can lay their eggs there. They will learn that's where to lay the eggs.

14. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

My birds are roosting in the boxes I made. I think because of how I built it, they like to be high in the corner. I hope when and if the house gets built they will learn to nest in there. Wondering if I should should just built another box to leave in there until house is built. Any thoughts?

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yes, that was my though. Just provide something else.

16. dpappas319

dpappas319 New Member

Does the size of the heating box really matter. Can it be two big.

17. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Nest boxes? Yes they can be too big. They don't need to be very big at all, 12x12 is fine. But they do need to provide some privacy and also allow air flow, ventilation is important for the hens especially in the summer time.

18. dpappas319

dpappas319 New Member

Thank you very much.

19. piglett

piglett Senior Member

i have boxes that are about that size for my buff orpingtons, however my black english orpingtons are much bigger birds so for them i'll build some that are about 16"x16"